Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a begonia species in one of my tanks that is growing like mad. I need to trim it, but I was wondering if I could cut it down and make cuttings out of it. Here is a pic of the plant. Got it from Home Depot...or maybe it was target.

G

·
leaf

if you cut a section of leaf near the main vein which runs up the centre and lay it ontop of a 50/50 perlite find grade orchid bark mix it should root.

·
Registered
116 Posts
hi,

the plant is indeed miniature angelwing begonia. it is a gorgeous plant and will root very easily for you. i always just made a cutting like mentioned above, and placed it in a cup of water. it usually roots in a week or two. you should wait until the roots are a slight brown color before planting or you can plant when the roots are white, they will just not be as strong. its a great plant! ~Lauren

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I made a cutting a month ago and still no roots, but the cuttling looks good (it is not dropping and hasn't lost any color). It looks the same as the planted plant. I have the cuttling in like 2"-3" of water. I put on cuttling in some soil on my window ledge and it shriveled.

How do I help it root?

·
Registered
116 Posts
hey josh

you can add a tiny tiny tiny amount of fertilizer to the water or use some root tone and root it in sand. put it in a place where it will get indirect sunlight and that is room temperature. sand works miracles for my grandmother. the water method has worked best for me. make sure to cut the cutting on or close to knodes and prune off all lower leaves except for a few on the top. it is harder for the plant to support all those leaves and it keeps them from rotting in the water or sand. also only submerge/plant the cutting about 2/3 of its length in the rooting substance. rooting gel also works for quick roots. hope this helps, ~Lauren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts