Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am new to the hobby and decided to build a vivarium using great stuff and a mix of the drylock method as well as the silicone and peat moss method. I am still waiting on a pump for the waterfall on the left and need to add moss, abg, etc. I keep thinking I’m gonna mess it up. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

Thank You,
-Trenton
Rectangle Art Gas Tints and shades Wood

·
Super Moderator
3,629 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these are large terrestrial frogs. They need every single bit of floorspace that they can get. The water feature that you're incorporating is going to waste a ton of space that they need and, in my opinion, shouldn't be used.

He's a great thread to read on vivarium design:

Vivarium 101

And here's another one:
Thoughts on tank design

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these are large terrestrial frogs. They need every single bit of floorspace that they can get. The water feature that you're incorporating is going to waste a ton of space that they need and, in my opinion, shouldn't be used.

He's a great thread to read on vivarium design:

Vivarium 101

And here's another one:
Thoughts on tank design
Thank you! So if I replace the Eggcrate with a full one and scrap the waterfall does it look like I’m in good shape?

·
Registered
181 Posts
It looks like you’re really getting the chance to express your creative side! I think your enclose looks pretty cool.

I don’t keep frogs, but from what I know(which isn’t much), the frog that you’ve targeted is terrestrial and won’t do too well in a paludarium like you’re currently building. It appears that most of the floor space the frog could use will be consumed with your water feature. In addition, even despite careful planning, paludariums often lead to overly moist substrate that doesn’t condone good living conditions for terrestrial frogs.

Stick around here, read all that you can, be open to suggestions and continue to learn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like you’re really getting the chance to express your creative side! I think your enclose looks pretty cool.

I don’t keep frogs, but from what I know(which isn’t much), the frog that you’ve targeted is terrestrial and won’t do too well in a paludarium like you’re currently building. It appears that most of the floor space the frog could use will be consumed with your water feature. In addition, even despite careful planning, paludariums often lead to overly moist substrate that doesn’t condone good living conditions for terrestrial frogs.

Stick around here, read all that you can, be open to suggestions and continue to learn.
Thank you! Once I found out how creative you can get with the enclosures I was all on board. I’m planning on making the bottom all land now and maybe adding a bit more hard scape towards the front. I just wanted to make sure there were no glaring issues. I am really happy I found this site as I have used it a ton in the process I’ll add an update picture when it’s planted and waiting to grow in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also purchased a reptile fogger that is run through the background and comes out of the rock in the front right.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not that it's a horrible idea, but I don't think you'll NEED that reptile fogger either. They're prone to early malfunctioning in my prior experience and ultimately a waste of funds. Also, to my knowledge , the frogs don't NEED them. If you really must have a fogger for whatever reason, think you'd be better off to build your own out of an ultrasonic humidifier. I'm sure others more experienced with this idea will add their opinions as well.

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts
A fogger is a bad idea, IMO and given how frogs breathe and maintain their moisture levels. Coating all surfaces in the viv with small suspended water droplets isn't how plants best get their water, and might be expected to hinder frogs from dermal respiration, which they are quite dependent on, and prevents the frogs from being able to find dry places when they are regulating their water intake.

There was a recent report of some troubling behavior from fogged frogs that is in line with these suspicions:

A viv is best sprayed (with a pump-style hand sprayer or quality misting system such as MistKing or Climist) heavily once to three or four times daily to add water to the system, and ventilated well to allow surfaces to mostly dry between spraying events without letting anything get crunchy dry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A fogger is a bad idea, IMO and given how frogs breathe and maintain their moisture levels. Coating all surfaces in the viv with small suspended water droplets isn't how plants best get their water, and might be expected to hinder frogs from dermal respiration, which they are quite dependent on, and prevents the frogs from being able to find dry places when they are regulating their water intake.

There was a recent report of some troubling behavior from fogged frogs that is in line with these suspicions:

A viv is best sprayed (with a pump-style hand sprayer or quality misting system such as MistKing or Climist) heavily once to three or four times daily to add water to the system, and ventilated well to allow surfaces to mostly dry between spraying events without letting anything get crunchy dry.
I was planning on using it for effect but ill take your advice and return it. The terrarium I bought is the exo terra frogs and co tree frog viv. It is basically made for the monsoon solo 2 misting system. have you heard any good or bad on that system?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They have a tendency to break down into the "wide open spraying" mode... Flooding a vivarium.
Okay. will try to return what I can and ger something like a mistaking. The only reason I thought about the monsoon was that the terrarium has built-in hose management and spots for the nozzles.

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts
The only reason I thought about the monsoon was that the terrarium has built-in hose management and spots for the nozzles
Yeah, that's one criticism of mine of that viv -- that it ropes people into using equipment that is less than adequate (I don't think animal care equipment should fail except in very unusual and rare situations). There's a lot to be said for that viv, though, and it is good that you chose the "tree frog" version, since that's by far the best of the two sizes for any species of dart. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, that's one criticism of mine of that viv -- that it ropes people into using equipment that is less than adequate (I don't think animal care equipment should fail except in very unusual and rare situations). There's a lot to be said for that viv, though, and it is good that you chose the "tree frog" version, since that's by far the best of the two sizes for any species of dart. :)
Yeah, I knew I wanted a 18x18x24 and I liked the built-in bulkhead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: I pulled out the fogger and boxed it up to be returned. Added great stuff to the ledge on top left where coco hide will be as well as some other necessary places. I then built a new false bottom with eggcrate and mesh. I mocked up the hard scape that will be added. I plan on adding sheet moss on areas of the background and once it has aired out I will add abg and plants. Then it’s time to cycle. Thoughts?
Pet supply Organism Fish supply World Water

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looks much better I think. Very creative. Personally I would replace the rope swing with a piece of ghost wood as I think the frogs will use it more. But that's just personal taste. You also may want to plan where you want to put your plants and how ahead of time. I assume maybe you have.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looking good- but toss that water dish. I have the very same one, and it's a nightmare to clean. It is very porous and will build up slime and scum like nothing else- I wouldn't trust it to be clean enough for frogs.
Strictly speaking, dart frogs shouldn't need a water pool to enter, if you've got your humidity and moisture levels correct, but for future reference, go for a ceramic or glass bowl instead. If your local pet shop doesn't have any of these in the reptile section, check the hermit crab stuff, or the "small pet" section with the other hamster-related things.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts