Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, I have been interested in getting dart frogs for about a year and would love to get some now but I have a few problems that I'd have to deal with in order to do it so I was wondering if you could help me find some solutions. I have a ten gallon, twenty gallon long, and a thirty gallon. I'd probly use the 30 and I would like some azureus. But first problem: I live in Colorado and the temperatures here (even more so in my house) fluctuate all over the board. My parents keep the house around 60 at night and then around 78(in winter) or lower 70's (in summer) during the day. I know that low 60's is too low of a temperature so how could I increase the temps without adjusting room temp (It would go in my room and I can't sleep in anything above about 65 or so)?
Problem 2: I will be a senior in hs next year so, I was wondering if I could hear from people who have had frogs in college. I don't imagine I would be able to control temps too well in a dorm room, especially when i might be going to cold Montana State. Thanks for any suggestions, I hope I can make it work out!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've had good luck with the types of heaters you stick to the side of the tank. It should stay fairly warm near the heater if you can't keep the room warm enough, and if they get too hot, they can move to the other side. The heater would also help to keep some degree of stability, and lights also generate heat.

Typically, I find that in college the biggest problem is keeping animals cool, especially in fall and late spring. Dorm rooms can get pretty hot at times, but dart frogs really shouldn't be a problem temperature-wise.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I don't think you'd have much of a problem at all with temps...the lights heat up the tank during the day, and they hold the heat for quite a while, especially if you go with a larger tank (allows more micro-climates).
My advice would be to set up a trial tank, put a min-max recording thermometer in there and see what happens. If you feel it gets too cold, consider some Mantella aurantiaca, which thrive in cooler temps. Other wise you could add an under tank heating mat with a thermostat in the tank...some people use a false bottom with an aqarium heater buried in there. If you do get a heat mat, I'd get one that is only 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the tank bottom, and put it on one end...that way the frogs can pick the temp that suits them.
As far as college...make sure you're dorm and roommates will allow them...I cant imagine anyone not liking a beutiful frog in a beutiful planted viv, but if you both have to live in something the size of a walk in closet, you're roommate might not like tripping over you're viv and fruit fly cultures. As a precaution, maybee try getting you're parents, or a friend interested that can take care of them if need be.
Have fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the fast response! That is a huge relief! I am so happy that this will probably work out.. I plan to build my ten galolon like a vert first, just to experiment and get the hang of building a viv so after that I will monitor temps and them move onto the 30. oh... and one more question... When I build my 30 and if I use a false bottom and stuff... how heavy do suppose it might be? Transportation would be the only thing I's wory about assuming I brought them to college with me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since you mentioned a false bottom, another suggestion to regulate heat is to use a submersible aquarium heater with a external stat. I beleive the models I use are made by via-aqua. A few inches of water under the false bottom is required to use this method but you can dial in the tank temp in just a few hours after set-up. In the summer I generally do not use the heaters. But the winter here in Utah can be cold. Heating the water also helps with humidity if you have a running water feature. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts