Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

i am new to the hobby and pretty much have been reading alot lately since i recieved my frogs. A friend of mine had just bought two frogs and was not able to keep them beacuse his mother is terrified of them so he gave them to me. Although i have plenty of experience with saltwater aquariums and coral proping, these are my first frogs and from what i have read they are not very good beginner frogs. They are two pumilio one bastimentos and one blue jeans. I have not yet been able to determine their sex nor do i know how old they are. I have a large tank (45 gallons) but have read its best to keep these specieces in a smaller tank so i will be getiing a 10 gallon tomorrow.Right now they are in the big tank with 75 degree temp and 90% humidity. i put a few ferns and i mist 3 times a day. If there is anyone here who could give me some advice id appreciate it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Pum's

I'm glad you've got the well-being of these frogs in mind. It's hard to take care of things when they get placed on you. Since you have two different color morphs, (bastimentos and most likely the almirante), I recommend separating them for stress and for eating purposes. I advise you use the "sweater box" method. You can go to dollar general and get 16 quart sweater boxes for like 2 bucks. Walmart also has Sterlite ones that are nice. I've used both, and can't remember how much the Sterlite ones were. Lay down a layer of gravel and then moss, and then some cover like corkbark and some pothos. Also, you're gonna want to get some Meloganaster fruit flies and fast! I haven't tried feeding my pum's pinheads but since they're not eating them, it could be a sign that they are too big, or they're still stressed. I hope it all works out for you, good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Best,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stick with the 10 gallons if you have the space. It will be easier to keep live plants that will help with bacterial problems. I would get springtails, and flies going. Your temps and humidity look great.
Sorry I don't have much time to post right now, if you want PM me and I can give you my phone number, or I am sure Patrick at
http://saurian.net/ would help.

God luck with them,

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Sorry to be confusing but I'm going to disagree with almost all of the advice you've gotten so far. I would keep the frogs in the 45 with lots of leaf litter and plants for hide cover. And keep LOTS of food in with them. The food should include ff, springtails, soil microfauna, and it wouln't hurt to buy a batch of parasitic wasps. Pumilio seem to like lots of room and a 45 should allow them to get away from each other. When establishing new pumilio, I believe that minimizing stress is the most important thing and giving them lots of room and places to hide does that much better than confining them to small tanks.

HOWEVER, if these frogs are long term captives, then you can disregard this advice and set them up in 10 gal. tanks as others have suggested since they are already acclimated to captivity. If you ever find suitable mates for your frogs and want to breed them, I would set them up in as large a viv as you can and make sure the morphs are separated.

I'd be interested to know the history of your blue jeans. You can email me privately if you like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts