Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i've kept some basic geckos and tree frogs for about two-three years. And I wanted to start keeping and (if all goes well) breeding dartfrogs. I have a 20 gallon long that i've put aside to start this endeavour. I had my heart on setting it up vertically. But with further research, Ive noticed that much of the beginner dart frogs are terrestrial.

Are there any beginner species that are easy to breed that would do well in a vertical 20g long? or am i biting off more than i can chew?

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
5,082 Posts
Ranitomeya imitator could be considered beginner frogs as long as you do your research.

Personally, I much more like the idea of using a enclosure designed as a vivarium rather than trying to modify a fish tank, but there are lots of folks who like modding aquariums. I'm lazy and like some guarantee of foolproofness, I guess.;)

·
Administrator
5,082 Posts
I don’t think a 20 long would make a good vert. To long and narrow to properly get light to the bottom.
That a good point. Fighting with a viv of questionable dimensions makes the whole project a drag.

If you just consider this to be the question:
Are there any beginner species that are easy to breed
then the whole world opens up to you. The glass box itself is the least expensive part of the whole project, anyway, so it makes more sense to base the project on the frogs you want, and then build around them.

You can read about species and their care here https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/ , then use the search feature to get about a million accounts of folks' experiences with whatever species catches your attention. There is good info on ranitomeya.com and dendrobates.org, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Think it might be easier to set up horizontally, will probably give me more options. I had a feeling yall would say 20g long was a too narrow vert, but i wanted to make sure.

·
Super Moderator
3,203 Posts
20 long is a difficult tank for frogs in any configuration in my experience. It just seems like I am always using too much of the height for false bottom, substrate and leaf litter and leaves very little room for the frogs. If you proceed with that tank, I would make sure you make your drainage and substrate layers as short as they can be and still function. You have to have enough drainage layer height that your drainage water doesn't wick into the substrate and you have to have enough substrate to grow your plants, but I would try to minimize the layer heights while still serving these functions.

Another option is to save the 20 long for a froglet tank and find a different tank that has a bit more height to it for your main enclosure. Not sure whether the Petco dollar a gallon sale is going on right now, but that is always a great place to get a cheap new tank. If you have a bit more budget, though, a front-opening Zoo Med or Exo Terra is worth the extra cost for me. 18x18x24 or larger is what I would shoot for.

As for beginner species that are easy to breed, there are lots of options. Tinctorius are great, bold frogs in most cases. Auratus, Leucomelas and Terribilis are all fun options. They have all beem relatively easy to breed for me. They all have different pros and cons (mostly pros!) so if you want more feedback, you might tell us what you are looking for in a frog :)

Best of luck,

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts