Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start a 15 gallon viv build for a pair of azures and I have a few questions. I plan to make a false bottom with eggcrate, then a layer of ABG mix with bromides, ferns and moss growing in it. I also plan on having some epiphytes growing off ghost wood or some other hard wood. I have a tank fogger to keep the humidity up and would only need to spray for the epiphytes. I am wondering how often I would need to spray? I want to see if purchasing a mistking is necessary.

Also I love the look of shelf mushrooms growing on the walls in dart frog vivariums and am wondering where to find these mushrooms? Are they oyster mushrooms? If not would planting some oyster mushrooms be fine? Lastly, I live in Colorado and amanitas grow near me, would it be safe to take some from the wild and place them in the tank?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
amanitas will not grow in the tank, because they are mycorrhizal. Any fruiting bodies you put in will rot. Also muscimol and ibotenic acids found in the mushrooms are very toxic, and NOT a good idea to be putting in the tank. As for other mushrooms in your viv....do a search about it, and see the consensus. I and others have steered people in the right direction several times if you actually want controlled fruitings in your viv

1 - 2 of 2 Posts