Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to keep some PDFs most likely a group of leucs. I have the following questions I hope some one can shed some light or at least point me in the right direction.

I am interested in a nice display tank for my house to showcase PDFs. Is this hobby like aquariums in the fact that the bigger the better? I am thinking of an exo terra 36x18x36 is it worth the price? I have the room and am willing to spend the money and effort.

Should I drill the tank to put a quick drain or just use a siphon tube?

Thank you for all of your help.

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
I would like to keep some PDFs most likely a group of leucs. I have the following questions I hope some one can shed some light or at least point me in the right direction.
those are great starter frogs. Ive had them loved them.

I am interested in a nice display tank for my house to showcase PDFs. Is this hobby like aquariums in the fact that the bigger the better? I am thinking of an exo terra 36x18x36 is it worth the price? I have the room and am willing to spend the money and effort.
this would be great to house them IMO and it is worth the price what type of backing are you planning?

Should I drill the tank to put a quick drain or just use a siphon tube
i would drill because it is easier in the long run but if your not ready or dont want to siphon

goodluck enjoy :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome Bill,

As with any kept animal, bigger is always better. I would like to add in conjuction with creating an environment (tank set up) in which PDF's can thrive.

For Leucs, a better choice in Exo's may be the 36x18x18 or the the 36x18x24. While Leucs do climb, the don't necessarily NEED that much vertical space, although I am certain that if you provide, sooner or later you'll find a Leuc or two up top.

I have two Exo's and a 50 gallon aquarium and to me, the Exos (or any tank with front access) are now officially worth every penny. I will not own another aquarium if I can possibly avoid it. Heck, I just bought a Terafauna ReptoHabitat with two sliding front doors yesterday just to use as a plant tank.

Drilling for drains is a personal choice. I just siphon and it doesn't take me long. Be sure to design a very easy access point for the drain access.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think it's easier to drill for draining.
Are you going to do background? Search up clay, GS, cork, epi web, etc. I'm surprised Zoomie, you have had to siphon water already? I mist heavily and not even a CM of water has collected in ~2 months.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First thanks for the feed back.

Zoomie
I admire your tanks and your build threads, the reason I was thinking if the taller tanks was to allow more room for plants up high? Is that a proper train of thought? I love the Naturalistic environment as a whole not only the awesome frogs.

Neontra
Mostly I am leaning toward the GS method, That seems the most straight forward and accessible for me. I. Have done GS and foam furniture for bearded dragons and I am confident working with that.

Bill

·
Registered
701 Posts
You mist, I hose !

Barely was anything in there. I do it once per week without fail.
Haha, you should see the people that leave their mistkings on 1 min every hour, lol. I hand mist for like a minute, twice a day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The more I read the more I think a larger tank may be wasted money to hold three leucs? I think I am now leaning toward a 24x18x24 for a group of leucs? Will that still be big enough, or should i stick with getting be 36 wide?

·
Registered
446 Posts
If its a showpiece and you got the room/money I would say go the 36".
They definately wont mind the extra space.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Hey Bill

I have 5 Leucs in a 36w x 24h. They use every inch of the tank. Are you limited to 3 Leucs?

The bigger the better for a display tank and the front opening tanks are worth every penny IMO. All of our tanks are front opening except one 75g I built. I'm not a fan at all. I thought I'd try the aquarium style but I've been spoiled with all the front opening tanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I am not limited to three. I was un sure if more than three was okay to keep together. If that is the case I will stick with the 36 wide.

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just picked up the exo terra 36x18x24 viv today at the Sarasota repticon for under $200, I thought it was a great deal. My mist king should be in this week too, with the labor day sale and free shipping!

Next is to buy a glass citing bit to drill the bottom for my drain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts