Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a pumilio for beginners besides bastimentos? I wouldn't mind getting some bastis but the only color I like is the yellow bastimentos and I havn't seen any for sale :( El dorado, isla popa, isla colon? Or are they more advanced? And by beginner I mean doesn't absolutely need springs(I will have springs I mean that I don't have to feed them on a FF swap Srping diet). I will be feeding them springs but the frogs don't have to rely on them.
And would a pair fit in a 15 tall or vertical?

Thank you
PS-Could you post some pics too if you have time?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I kept ED pums as my first egg feeder, all in all they were pretty hardy, and before I sold them when I had to move the male called every day, and I got a few eggs, unfortunately no Tad's. I had been keeping thumbnails for a while before that so I had a bit of experience. But I would say pumilio is a very different animal. I bred spingtails in the viv and always had a few food items for them, lots of leaf litter and a fair amount of ground area is good too. Not to say they don't climb. All in all my El dorado were good for my first pums but they aren't good first frogs

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep anthonyi's and by the time I keep some pums I will have gotten my varaderos. Would that be enough experience? What types of food did you use? Melongaster, aphids, springs, and isopods?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
El Dorado may be your best choice. They are a bigger pum, and the babies morph big enough for fruit flies.
Personally I prefer bigger tanks for my pums. Will they fit in a 15? Yes. Would I recommend bigger? Yes. Anyway you could up size to a 25 standard horizontal?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is Petco's $ per gallon sale still going on? I probably would be able its just a matter of space... Do I need a UVB light and if I do, are the exo-terra lights UVB? So I'll go with El Dorado, is there any other color than yellow(I don't think so but I want to be sure).

·
Banned
579 Posts
Honestly....any pumilio is as easy or as hard as the others ( in my experience) but....buuut....only because I did my research and sort of played out their setup and care dedication in my brain for a few weeks....then I started with blue jeans and black jeans and they have bwwn nothing but automatic for me. Any pumilio will breed for you as long as you do your homework and do the best you can to simulate that specific locale of pumilios habitat and care which they require.... Fyi....bastis are the only pums that have yet to give me anything out of 30 locales I keep.;)

·
Banned
579 Posts
Is Petco's $ per gallon sale still going on? I probably would be able its just a matter of space... Do I need a UVB light and if I do, are the exo-terra lights UVB? So I'll go with El Dorado, is there any other color than yellow(I don't think so but I want to be sure).
I agree with you....dorados are breeding machines!!! Haha

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Almirante or Mancreeks.

I'm going to agree with Cairo. Pumilio don't vary too much in their care across morphs. The biggest "experience" thing is many people consider certain pumilio to be "expert" pumilio because they are more rare in the hobby and need to be bred that much more to maintain that locality in the hobby.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Honestly....any pumilio is as easy or as hard as the others ( in my experience) but....buuut....only because I did my research and sort of played out their setup and care dedication in my brain for a few weeks....then I started with blue jeans and black jeans and they have bwwn nothing but automatic for me. Any pumilio will breed for you as long as you do your homework and do the best you can to simulate that specific locale of pumilios habitat and care which they require.... Fyi....bastis are the only pums that have yet to give me anything out of 30 locales I keep.;)
Your Bastis have never reproduced? I'm confused.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Your Bastpris have never reproduced? I'm confused.
My bad, got caught up with my typing....I meant dorados have never done a thing for me. Thatnks for catching that matt. I was almost a little freakn liar here. Dont know why, but dorados just wont do it and Ive gotten at least 4 1.1 or 1.2s bastis are the breeding machines.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Almirante or Mancreeks.

I'm going to agree with Cairo. Pumilio don't vary too much in their care across morphs. The biggest "experience" thing is many people consider certain pumilio to be "expert" pumilio because they are more rare in the hobby and need to be bred that much more to maintain that locality in the hobby.
I've actually never seen Mancreeks for sale. And Almirantes are a bit out of my price range(from what ive seen). How much do Mancreeks go for? And about the UVB I think the exo-terra ones are so I will get the dual top one for the tank. Can anyone give me the dimensions for a 25 gallon high?

Thanks for all the good info!
Alex

·
Banned
579 Posts
Remember. Lights are for your plants and not your frogs. You need to supplement your frogs with their calcium d3, and their flintstones vitamins...haha

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Remember. Lights are for your plants and not your frogs. You need to supplement your frogs with their calcium d3, and their flintstones vitamins...haha
Darn! The only vitamins I have are the Harry Potter ones :( hahahaha Ok so I won't get the UVB light. Would a 20 high be ok for a pair?

·
Registered
776 Posts
The difficulty in pumilio is primarily with breeding and some morphs are way easier than others. For example Cristobals, Man Creek, Cauchero, El Dorado are much easier to breed. Some morphs have not been successfully bred in captivity yet. If do not care about breeding then care is fairly simple.

Here are some basics if you are considering pumilio and want to breed.

1) Use lots of leaf litter. More is better.
2) Springs are a must. If you can afford a 100 dollar frog you can buy a couple of 4 dollar cultures. Add fresh springs as often as you can. They are easy to culture, especially the tropical whites.
3) Fit as many water holding broms that you can into the vivarium.
4) The ratio should be no more than 1.1 or 1.2 for your average sized viv. (15-40 gallons). Males fight and so do females, just not quite as much as the males.
5) Proper supplementation. Rotate several different brands of supplements if you can. I have found Repashy ICB works quite well for Oophaga because of the retinol based vitamin A. I rotate ICB Rep-Cal and Herptivite to keep it well rounded.
6) Air circulation makes a big difference if you can do it. Its not a requirement by any means.
7) Don't worry about UVB light. Your glass top blocks the UV light so the benefit is quite small if any. There has always been a bit of debate over this.
8) Check into clay based substrates.
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/63732-clay-substrate-how.html
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/22990-ultimate-clay-based-substrate-thread.html

If I left anything out then others feel free to add to this. Enjoy your first pums. Pumilio are my personal favorite group of frogs and make up the majority of my collection. They are not overall that hard, but eventually you will want to try to breed them.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I've actually never seen Mancreeks for sale. And Almirantes are a bit out of my price range(from what ive seen). How much do Mancreeks go for? And about the UVB I think the exo-terra ones are so I will get the dual top one for the tank. Can anyone give me the dimensions for a 25 gallon high?

Alex
How much are the almirantes you are looking at going for? I think they are one of the easier and less expensive morphs, certainly less than isla popa or isla colon. Mancreeks would probably go around the same price as almirantes, el Dorado, basti, etc. or slightly more. I haven't sold any of my mancreek offspring yet, but I plan on raising them up and selling sexed pairs for around $250.
UVB won't penetrate the glass lid so it won't be particularly useful for the frogs.
Some pumilio morphs may be smaller or tend to be more shy, which could play into difficulty breeding, and therefor less available, and being considered a "difficult" or "advanced" morph. Bastimentos, mancreek, almirante, and el Dorado would normally all be good "beginner" pumilio in terms of size, boldness, price, availability, ease of breeding, etc.
Good luck,
Bryan

·
Registered
3,029 Posts

Alex
Almirante and Mancreeks are virtually indistinguishable (except for the obvious locale data).

If Almirante are out of your price range then I think bastis are just about your only choice. I'm currently under the impression that the Almirante are the second cheapest pumilio out there....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts