Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Newts and salamanders have always fascinated me, and I would eventually like to keep some. I'm particularly interested in semi-aquatic species. Besides the obvious tiger salamander, what are some good beginner semi-aquatic species? (I have only found one other thread asking a similar question, so forgive me if I missed something)
Thanks in advance for all the information.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap. I forgot to check there. Although with all due respect, there is a section in the forum titled Other Amphibians with such sub-forums as: mantellas, tree frogs, toads, newts & salamanders, and axolotls. Also, in the first post I said: "I have only found one other thread asking a similar question" Here is that thread: http://https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/newts-salamanders/179218-newts-salamanders.html People actually responded and the fact that there are these sub-forums suggest that there are people capable of answering my question.
Again, not trying to sound harsh, but it seems this dart frog forum is just as a good a place as any.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
You are wrong. John Clare has taken a lot of time and effort to shape his Forum - it's older than this forum even. There is close to 100% chance a beginner will be far better taken care of there.

Your smug attitude does have me perplexed. You do seem contrite but are continuing with a bull-headed approach. Very odd.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree on your statement about Caudata.org. I am a member there, but do not use it often, so I simply forgot. When I saw a similar thread here, I thought to ask. I will seek more information there now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll answer your question.
Alpine newts and Spanish ribbed newts are widely available, hardy, easy to keep and feed, and can be kept aquatic or semi aquatic.
One of the main keys to success with most species of salamander or newt is keeping them cool, preferably below 70f. Provide clean, cycled water, lots of live plants to hide in, lots of food, and they are easy, low maintenance herps.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
You were right Phillo.

The category is clearly presented and theres 100% chance that because of herpetoculture "intersectionality" you can find experienced caudate information here.

Some people dont inhabit online forums for every subject they have worked with.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Newts, Salamanders are unheralded vivaria subjects.

PM me any time for conversation, environment strategy advice. Almost 4 decades of keeping experience here, including injury and sickness, in hand resolve.

Dour Assumpions thwart connection and development.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts