Dendroboard banner

Beginner looking for advice...

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  gardennub 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post here on Dendroboard. Members of other communities (such as Herp Central and The Planted Tank) suggested that I come check this forum out, so far I'm loving it.

I am new to vivariums and have been trying to learn as much as I can.
Next year I will (hopefully) be setting up a vivarium for Green Anoles, of course I want to do all of my research and planning ahead of time.

I am just looking for anyone willing to lend a hand in helping me "get started" so to speak.
I've been reading a lot of threads here that are aimed at beginners, which have been a big help.

If you can think of any other threads/links that may be helpful to me, please post them here. :) Thanks!

#12 · (Edited)
Not very, especially once you put a false bottom in. This one is much wider/longer than it is tall. Though I did debate leaving it.... Now I am back to being indecisive again! Damn! Haha

ETA: No, I'm not. Hahaha Still going with the tall design plan. It just seems better for Anoles.

Caging Requirements: Anoles are quite small, never getting more then 8 inches in length, and are as slender as they are small; therefore, a large cage is not needed. A couple babies can live their whole lives in a 10-gallon, 20"x10"x12", aquarium. Anymore then a pair should be kept in a larger enclosure. If you notice that any of the Anoles are being aggressive to the others you should separate them; the results could be fatal. As always, when choosing a cage for an Anole, you are better off buying glass or wood so that the precious heat is trapped inside the cage rather then allowing it to escape through mesh. One last thing to take into consideration, Anoles are arboreal (tree-dwelling) so they prefer to have cages that are high rather then cages with a lot of ground space. http://www.reptilehabitat.com/green_anoles.htm
Green anoles are an arboreal species. This means that they will benefit from taller enclosures opposed to those that have more surface area. The minimum suggested enclosure size for a single or paired anole grouping is 10 gallons. A larger enclosure will allow you to create a much more realistic environment for your anoles as well as create a proper heat gradient, something that will be difficult to do in a 10 gallon tank.http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-caresheets/green-anole.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.