Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So I'm going to the S.A. reptile show in hopes of seeing (buying my first frogs)

I have done tons of research on Vivs and feeding and supplimenting.
I have one tank ready and pending tadpoles for Amazonicus
I have another tank that will be ready in the next week. (finalizing last stages of planting)
I would like to get Azureus or Cobalts but if there arent any there what else is a good starter frog besides the obvious Leucs.

Some more questions since I'm at it.

18x18x24 Exo tank with 3 levels of terrain 4 hides dence foliage, no water feature.
How many of the same speices. (I'll watch for agression and remove if needed) I have enough materials laying around to make another viv if needed.
Plus I have Q Tanks.
Azu.
Cobalt.
Leuc.

Any other input anyone would like to share about any of these three or others that make good starters please feel free.
I'm leaning twords the Cobalts but I still want input.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Looks like you know what your doing. Pretty much any tinc is a good starter frog (citronella, cobalt, azureus, ect.). For 18x18x24's I would only suggest a pair if you get tincs cuz they are pretty territorial. But if you get leucs or auratus you could put maybe 3-4 in there. Auratus are pretty good starter frogs too, but not as bold as tincs or leucs.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I agree with Chris, stick with a pair of any tincs since they tend to be very territorial, you should easily be able to do 3-4 leucs or auratus, both of which are other good beginner species.
Bryan

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright everyone ...HELP ;-)
I got 2 frogs today here is what I know (the guy at the expo told me he didnt know much)

Wild Caught
Large size/length not mass
Blue legs with spots
Yellow with blue (almost black) stripe
Ones shy and thoe other is BOLD.

I will add more pics, It's late I am very tired (ran around all day picking up the last of the necessary items.

They are in quarentine, I could not find big storage containers that were clearish and with seals so I made my own (making a thread on how I made mine.

so here we go.

let me know what you think and I will post better pics tomorrow afternoon.
Got church then picnic then home to relax.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Your pictures aren't showing up for me. If you still are looking for beginner frogs I know guppygal is selling cobalts and auratus frogs. She's in Houston but said she is willing to drive up to 3 hours to meet. I assume the show you were talking about is San Antonio? That's about 2.5 hrs away. Anyway, just a thought.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has answered you yet.

They resemble Cobalts, IMO. Do you know if they have been tested for worms? It appears that they're a bit thin. Are they eating okay? Do you know anything else about them? Male/Female? Seller?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats all I know about them they are eatting like pigs they are also in individual qt's
I got a good deal and local (shipping)
the guy told me they eat crickets I was like oh really..... got home dumped FF in qt and bam they were tearing them up lol

·
Registered
508 Posts
Considering that their source is questionable, see if you can locate an exotics animal vet in your area to perform fecals on them. If not, there are instructions on the board to contact Dr. Frye and send fresh fecals to be checked and if the frogs are wormy, he'll supply you with the meds. I don't remember what the cost is, but it's worth it since they're wild-caught, according to the 'guy'. If not treated, a wormy frog will lose weight and slowly die. It's not a pretty site, or so I've heard.

Also, the only crickets that the frogs can eat are usually pinheads, and pinheads grow fast. They can't eat anything larger than the width between their eyes. DO NOT try to feed them those nasty fire ants we have down here - they'll kill your frogs. Another food source is termites, which are like candy to pdfs, and flour beetles, tho I've never seen one. For the time being, fruitflies and the occasional termite is your best bet.

If you can get some additional pix on the frogs, especially the front feet, it's possible that some of these very bright folks on the board can sex them for you.

best regards,
kristi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts