Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm not stupid, but I need someone to walk me through this.

I got 2 cultures that have about 30 or so bean beetles walking around. I added fresh beans but didn't take out the old beans.

I made the thing Ed uses to get the beetles out, and I took out a ton of the beetles to be fed tomorrow or the next few days. Let's just assume that I took out all of the adults. Now do I add more beans and wait for the larvae to emerge, lay their eggs (which I assume I won't be able to see) then harvest the adults again?

Or let me put it another way, could someone explain what they would do if they just received 2 cultures today, one is going with about 30 adults, and one had just had the adults taken out of it. What would you do next to make more cultures (I'd like to have 4 or so cultures going) and a generalized timeline of what to do...

Thanks in advance.

Brian

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
well, your best bet is to NOT feed with the beetles, rather make new cultures, and dump them into those. these are the easiest insects to culture IMO, but they can be slow to produce and have large boom bust cycles. one day youll have 20, the next 200, and a week later 0, so make new cultures NOW. dont feed, focus on getting them established first.

james

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
People do it differently.

I'd feed some and also make a couple new cultures with what you have, using old and new beans. I think Ed uses only new beans to cut down on the 'beetle dust' that accumulates in the bottom (if I recall correctly). I'm not as picky. :D

Mine tend to produce all the time. My thinking is that the old beans keep popping babies as the adults are laying in the new beans.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
The life cycle is approximately 30 days. I only use new beans to start a new culture as I've found that the accumulation of bean dust and other things tends to result in mold in the bottom of the cultures. Some of these molds can be an issue for you (if allergic) or the frogs if the beetles are contaminated. Even without adding new beans, you should get two emergences from the beans (you can get three but the third is too small for me to take up the shelf space). The life span of the beetles is typically between 10-12 days so you should be able to spread them across two weeks which will increase the availability of the beetles.

I typically start new cultures each week and use about 30-50 beetles to seed the new cultures. At this point, I have producing cultures each week which enables me to feed out a lot of beetles. I use the surplus from the cultures to feed the frogs.

Ed

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did some more reading on them, and i think i figured out my problem. I didn't know they will lay 100 eggs each, for some reason i was thinking one beetle would only lay one egg. ???

Maybe i was over-thinking it.

FF = put media in, dump flies in, wait, repeat
BB = put beans in, dump in beetles, wait, repeat

Sound right?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I did some more reading on them, and i think i figured out my problem. I didn't know they will lay 100 eggs each, for some reason i was thinking one beetle would only lay one egg. ???

Maybe i was over-thinking it.

FF = put media in, dump flies in, wait, repeat
BB = put beans in, dump in beetles, wait, repeat

Sound right?
Yep.. That is exactly why you don't need tons to get a culture going. Just remember the adults don't feed so the closer they are to when they emerge the better the nutritional quality... but since they do live 10-12 days, you can do pretty well setting up cultures every seven days and once you get them emerging consistently, you'll be flooded with them.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts