Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed my female Bastimentos had a clear/white film over one of her eyes. She seems to be her normal active self, but I haven't seen this before. Does anyone know what this is and if it needs to be treated or left alone?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Tanya

My male Bastimentos had a similiar thing. I ended up leaving it for a while because I didnt want to stress him. The eye film got worse and bubbled up. I ended up treating with baytril and it got much better. Unfortunately, my male lost his sight in that eye. Im not saying by any means that yours could def. have what mine did, but I would take it to the vet ASAP just in case. I believe that if I had treated it sooner he may not have lost his sight. Hope this helps.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, thank's alot for that info!! It helps when someone else has had the same experience, especially with the same type of frog.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've experienced this with an azureus a couple years ago. The eye formed a cyst as well. I left it alone for a week or so and then decided to treat it. Not having any meds on hand, I ran out to the local fish store and purchases some *myacin. This came in the form of powder in capsules in which I heavily diluted with RO water. I took a small, sterile eye dropper and placed a couple drops of this on the eye once daily. The eye seemed to heal completely in a matter of a few days. I'm not sure if there were any effects on vision, but the eye appeared to be perfectly healthy.

-Bill J.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts