Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across some pictures on my phone that show how much these froglets change as they grow. I had forgotten how red he was when he came out of water

About six months ago

And a couple of days ago...

For reference, here are his parents

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Interesting. It seems to have lost some of the red as it got older. Did you used any colorant supplementation like Repashy SuperPig?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if I would say lost the red, as much as gained the golddust. My phone doesn't do him justice. I do supplement, rotating in super pig and vit-a about once a month. Some siblings

I will have to see if I have any on my real camera...

·
Registered
366 Posts
I currently have a juvie from my pair (both GD) that did the exact same thing. Started red/orange and gradually faded to a pink, then more to a true gold dust. I've also had ones thrown that stayed red/orange as well as ones that were GD right from morphing.

Pat

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have an adult Basti that was bright red, that I supplemented with Superpig, held it's red color, and definitely started to fade a bit when I stopped supplementing. I've started again and will try to get some before/after shots.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I currently have a juvie from my pair (both GD) that did the exact same thing. Started red/orange and gradually faded to a pink, then more to a true gold dust. I've also had ones thrown that stayed red/orange as well as ones that were GD right from morphing.

Very interesting. I have yet to have one morph out golddust. I have had them be more 'metallic' than others, but most are red/orange. If you have any pictures, I would love to see them. Feel free to put them here if you wish.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Very interesting. I have yet to have one morph out golddust. I have had them be more 'metallic' than others, but most are red/orange. If you have any pictures, I would love to see them. Feel free to put them here if you wish.
I'll try to snap some of the newest froglet tomorrow. He's about 1 month oow, but he's been the same gold dust color since he crawled out of the film canister.

Pat

·
Registered
366 Posts
Actually, here are a couple I already have. The first is the newest froglet, this photo was within a couple weeks of morphing out. He still has this coloration a month or so later.

This one is a frog I still have. This is at about 2-3 months give or take. When it first morphed it was a darker red/orange. I'll try to get a newer pic tomorrow, as he is currently much lighter, almost a light pink, very close to gold dust though.

Pat

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pat, thanks for sharing! That is what I have been hoping to see. I have had a dozen come out, but none with the lighter color. What would you say percentage wise you get a lighter froglet?

Gabe

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Brian, should be close to identifying which one called from the grow out. Now it's a race to see if you finish your viv, or I id the caller!
im not to worried about either, its healthy where it is so no hurry on my part (my cemetary female may disagree with me :rolleyes:) but i rather have the room perfect before taking any risks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Here is one of Gabe's little ones all grow'd up.. It's crazy to see how much this little lady's colors have changed as she continues to lighten up. She is even starting to develop some patches of green towards her belly!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Pat, thanks for sharing! That is what I have been hoping to see. I have had a dozen come out, but none with the lighter color. What would you say percentage wise you get a lighter froglet?

Gabe
Here's the current photo of the orange frog I previously posted. But it's been interesting with these guys, Gabe. Coinsidence I'm sure, but the first several froglets my pair threw were all a darker orange. The first couple kept the coloration, the latter lightened up as they grew. The last several have all morphed out gold dust with no hint of any orange color. I have another couple tads in the water at the moment, but they're not far enough along to have any color yet.

-Pat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts