Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bastimentos pair used to lay a couple of fertile clutches a week, raise 100s of tads, but froglets never emerged. Using the advice I received on the forum, I switched to Repashy..... 2 1/2 months later, two gorgeous healthy froglets (and a third froglet with thin front legs) emerged. It's been 4 weeks since the froglets emerged, and both healthy froglets are still going strong and growing fast.

The Bastimentos pair stopped laying clutches during the froglet rearing. They didn't lay another clutch until after the froglets emerged, which I understand to be normal. However, for the very first time, the clutch was not fertile. All 9 eggs died. This pair has never laid a non-fertile clutch before.

Strangely, they waited weeks before laying a second clutch... this time 11 eggs. However, this clutch was also not fertile.

The question I have is..... Why would the Bastimentos pair suddenly be laying non-fertile clutches? Is it related to the supplementation? Should I reduce the supplementation or modify it? I'm currently dusting their fruit flies with Repashy Calcium Plus daily, and twice a month dusting with Repashy Vitamin A.

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
637 Posts
How old are the vitamins? I wouldn't get too worried yet but you may want to get new supplements if they are old.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vitamins are 3 months old, and have been in the refrigerator. Is that too old?
BTW... I saw the pair lay another clutch yesterday. The female laid them, and the male was right there to fertilize them, and he's been tending to them regularly. But as of today, they don't look fertile. This would be the 3rd non-fertile clutch in a row, which has never happened before.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Depends on the date. They should be stored in the fridge, preferably without any moisture, and thrown out 6mo after opening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts