Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I aquired a bunch of bassleri that are morphing now. Front leggs popped,an within a day I found them dead/drowned in 1/2" of water, container was tilted. Are these guys super sensitive to drowning like Anthonyii/Tricolor? As soon as front legs pop, do I just remove all water but like a millimeter? Or do I go ahead and just put them in a growout with tail and all once front leggs pop?? Advice welcome!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
From what I've been told, they are more prone to drowning.

Why tilt it? Just simply keep them in a tad container (lid on) with maybe an 1/8" - 1/4" of water. Enough that it barely covers the neomorph that they can lift their head out of the water. Eventually they will climb up the side.
Ive raised all my neomorphs this way & have never had any drownings.

Once they absorb their tail, I move them into another growout container preseeded with springtails.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The culprits are water quality and or the nutrition of either the parents or the tadpoles. This can be exacerbated by the reduced time of development of the tadpole to meta-morph at higher temperatures. I prefer to keep them cooler. I have raised 100+ chrome and my share of black in a 10 gallon aquariums with duck weed and a foam filter. They go straight up the sides when they are healthy. Robert

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tads came from well respected and expereienced member. Temps in frogroom average 74 degrees, no higher than 76 no lower than 69. I don't know, Still have 10 tads that are close to morphing. Just frustrated, they appeared to be doing really well. I change the water entirely about once per week using 50 % RO water and 50% dechloinated tap water. I use Indian almond leaves, feed 3 different types of Omega One flake food.

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
Chris, for what it's worth, I've pulled all my tads I raise communally (Epips and Hyloxalus) immediately when I see the frog legs pop. I've never had an issue with them transitioning to land. I have had issues with them drowning if kept in the container too long.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
they mroph extremely quick. In the past I've tilted the container and taken out most of the water when they have well established back legs

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont use %100 RO for a # of reasons. From what I've read, totally pure RO water has a harder time keeping the PH stable and can rock back and forth stressing the tads.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have had a 100% success rate with morphing our ameeriga basleri blue/ green chrome froglets. We raise the tadpoles up in a fish tank full of tadpole tea filtered by a sponge filter. As soon as we see a tad has popped its front legs we pull it out of the all water aquarium and put it in a grow out tank with no water only moist sphagnum moss and leaf litter. We have not lost a single froglet and now have over 50 healthy froglets. Seems quite harsh, I know but this method has been extremely effective for us. Let me know what you think.

Dawn

·
Registered
348 Posts
The culprits are water quality and or the nutrition of either the parents or the tadpoles. This can be exacerbated by the reduced time of development of the tadpole to meta-morph at higher temperatures. I prefer to keep them cooler. I have raised 100+ chrome and my share of black in a 10 gallon aquariums with duck weed and a foam filter. They go straight up the sides when they are healthy. Robert
Do you run your foam filter 24/7?

Cowabunga Dude! - Michelangelo

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I dont use %100 RO for a # of reasons. From what I've read, totally pure RO water has a harder time keeping the PH stable and can rock back and forth stressing the tads.
I think the issue with too pure of water was with 100% distilled used in cups. But again, just speculation from what ive read on the forums. Sorry to hear about the froglets though brotha. FWIW I use 100% RO with a pinch of java moss and a couple oak leaves in each 8oz cup for my tads and so far no ill effects.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I prefer DIY "tadpole tea" for the reasons given by pdfCrazy. For the rest I like Gamble. I get "tadpole tea" when I boil leaves oak and then diluting this liquid with RO water and tap water.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I say using ro water works fine alone, in the incredibly small amount of water being held the water is going to bounce no matter what and tap water usually had too many dissolved solids in my experience to keep them in. But this is just a personal thing, I used to keep my fish in fairly pure but acidic water and it may be that experience stays with me and influences my preference

1 - 13 of 13 Posts