Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm going to be using some bamboo in some of vivariums and have a few questions. I'm talking about the poles, not those "lucky bamboo". I've heard that they mold rather easily in a humid enclosure. Is there anything I can coat the outsdei with so that it won't rot? I'm going to be putting some silicone on the insides to hold water, so if the frogs (M. laevigata) lay eggs, the tads will fall into the water below. Also, any herp people sell bamboo?

G

·
I made my waterfall out of a stick of bamboo cut in pieces so that it is sort of like a stair case runing from the tip of one and fallnging into the back of a the next. I just used thouse bamboo trellis poles that u can buy from garden stores. My rational was that if it can suvive the intense humidity and rain out side it should be able to survive in my viv. It seems to be doing fine but some of the cracks that formed when i was cutting it are leaking, but that can easily be fixed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Also I know there are few nurseies that specilize just in a bamboo and they could porbably send you a species that was bred to tolerate high humidty or cuttings from some of the larger plants. Search around I know there is one up near Fort Bragg in Northern California.

Danny

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
In general a lot of the bamboos that would be easy to get (already dried and ready for your terrarium) would hold up great in a tank. I think they are very resistent to rot, and that you wouldn't have to worry about it. I have thought about the same thing that you are going to do... but never picked up the mantellas so I never went through with the project. Should be very cool! Also, I think you could grow lucky bamboo in a terrarium with no problems... as I have seen them grown submerged in water.

G

·
I took a long time making a really nice water feature out of the bamboo and within a couple of weeks it was covered with a thick, slimy coating of clear, nasty stuff that was quickly polluting the water of my firebelly tank so I took it out and haven't used it since. The humidity was not near as high as my poison tanks. I have put many different things in that huge tank and have never seen anything like it before or since.
I don't know if it made any difference or not but I did cut up long pieces and would run into large amounts of what looked like old spider webs except that it was really thick inside the chamber. I cleaned them out as good as I possibly could, so I don't know if that was the cause.

Rhonda

G

·
mine is also getting sort of sludgy and stained but i think it is just the tanin from the coco bedding in the substrate and dirt particles again from the substrate. I did have a problem however with these tiny little black bugs. I stopped the waterfall to silicone something on the end and to my horror found tons of tiny black bugs. It scared the S*$! out of me but i just rinsed the tubes out with ammonian and then lots and lots of water and they haven't come back yet. :) Lucky i dont have frogs in there yet.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
What type of wood you use in a tank can be a problem. i recomend cork bark, hard woods, heart wood, and stuff that is proven to last. I do have a little bit of bamboo in one tank but don't expect it to last. You don't want to use something that will rot as soon as your tank starts to look nice.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mantella laevigata breed in bamboo. How can I make it so that it won't rot?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts