Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new bakhuis! I've never heard of them before today so I'm excited to learn more about them. What makes them special? Anyone else with bakhuis? Don't be shy to post pictures!

The lovely pair

Thanks!
Lexi

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
They are one of the smallest tinc morphs, and one that many people have had success keeping in groups.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My best friend decided he wanted a small display tank after seeing my frogs, and he got two bakhuis. I think they are both female. They don't show any aggression towards each other and they are pretty easy for him to take care of, and he isn't really into frogs so they must be pretty tough. They aren't especially bold though. I love the coloring though.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I've been keeping and breeding Bahkuis for over a year now. Great frog, they are a bit shy though. Mine produce very regularly and some froglets have a more reticulated pattern than others.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My pair are definitely not shy! They climb up the glass and are all over the place, especially my female. One almost ate a bean beetle out of my hand but not quite. Maybe they're just a hyper pair ;) They make my leucs look lazy.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Had 3 breeding pairs down to 2. They are nice frogs can be a little shy until they settle. Very prolific breeders. The froglets are pretty small and harder to raise. For best results I have a lot of springs for them to eat and feed a few fruit flies as much as twice a day.
John

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How are they doing? Settling in okay?

We have a 4.1 group. Here's a pic of the female.
They're doing great! Last night they were doing some dance with their back legs at each other from across the viv then met up in a corner and she'd rub his back. They're supposed to be a proven pair so maybe ill have eggs sooner than I thought. No calling thus far (that I know of). Ill post some better pictures once I find my camera battery charger haha.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had 3 breeding pairs down to 2. They are nice frogs can be a little shy until they settle. Very prolific breeders. The froglets are pretty small and harder to raise. For best results I have a lot of springs for them to eat and feed a few fruit flies as much as twice a day.
John
Good to know I have some Patricia tads that I think are going to be around the same froglet size as the Bakhuis? And I'm worried! I've never raised one from a tadpole and they're about 3 weeks from being out of water.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My favorite tinc :) I have a 2.1 group, the female is very bold and but I hardly ever see the males. Mine morph out the same size as my azureus and take melanogasters right away (froglet tanks are seeded with springs, though).

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
They're doing great! Last night they were doing some dance with their back legs at each other from across the viv then met up in a corner and she'd rub his back. They're supposed to be a proven pair so maybe ill have eggs sooner than I thought. No calling thus far (that I know of). Ill post some better pictures once I find my camera battery charger haha.
Ummm, yup. Like maybe tomorrow. :D (Or the near future)

That's courting!

·
Registered
805 Posts
you will be ok. patricias are big eaters and grow quick just do not put more flies in then they can eat it will stress them out. I start patricia on flies. Bakius will eat flies right away also but I like to have spring for them as well.
john

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's their new home we finished building
(They're in the top half which my boyfriend built)

The lovely pair (male up front)

Him on the hunt!

My sweet heart female leuc Dot (in her new home on the bottom half which I built) we just finished construction so I have to show off! Our first build. Hope my little Aluminum plant cutting makes it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts