Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 Bakhuis, 3.1. They have been laying eggs for a little while now. They have always liad in film canisters, white ones only. I moved them into a larger tank 2 days ago. I was just looking in their tank checkig on everyone and saw one of the males ontop of a clutch of eggs. They laid their eggs in the corner of the viv ontop of the leaf litter. There is nothing covering them. They have pleanty of canisters to lay in all over the tank. Is this normal for Bakhuis? I've heard that some lay under stuff and not in canisters, but ontop of the leaf litter with no cover is a little weird. I also only lit half the tank so if they wanted to hide in the dark while they adjusted to the new viv... the eggs are directly under the light in the brightest corner of the tank.

Is this normal or are they confused? Any one elses Bakhuis or any other frogs lay eggs in weird places?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Hi Megan

I have a 4.1 group of Bakhuis and they lay all over the place. They have a brom that they lay on, a corner in leaf litter and once and a while they actually use the coco hut. I don't have any film cans in the viv. I have Campana and Blue/Bronze Auratus that do the same thing.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the responce Glenn! Sorry I didnt respond sooner, I've been vending at a music festival the past few days. I'm glad to hear that your frogs do it too, I wasn't sure if it was maybe stress related. They actually laid again over the weekend, this time it was in a white film canister.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Megan,

Bakhuis will lay anywhere, but there will be less tadpole production from eggs laid in the leaflitter in the open. Rather than canisters, a coco-hut with petri dish would probably work better for them. One of my pairs laid in the substrate recently, so I put in a petri dish with some water in it for tadpole transport. The next day they laid a clutch in the water right out in the open.

So, they'll lay anywhere, but the best method seems to keep the coco-huts available for them to use.

Good luck, Richard.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had coco huts in their old viv and they never even hid in them... and would lay in the canisters next to them so I didn't put them in the new viv. I'll put one back in and see if they have changed their minds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts