Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i am getting a pair of Bakhuis and will be here by next week. I looked at the caresheet threads but i dont see anything about Bakhuis. I know they are dwarf tincs but do they require the same temp and humidity as other tincs? currently i have humidity level of over 90% and temp of about 73 fahrenheit. maybe someone can give me their insight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advise guys. lincolnrailers, what do you mean by prolific? :D

i heard that they are a subadult proven pair. sexed based on the appearance of the toepads. roughly about 6 months. may be able to breed during fall perhaps?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks for the advise guys. lincolnrailers, what do you mean by prolific? :D

i heard that they are a subadult proven pair. sexed based on the appearance of the toepads. roughly about 6 months. may be able to breed during fall perhaps?
Bakhuis are gorgeous frogs, and it looks like you're on the right track. They can be kept like any other Tinc. Lincolnrailers means that they will breed and produce eggs often. Most Tincs breed fairly prolifically. IME my Azureus pair took a few months to get started, but now they produce almost weekly. I've had to seperate the two because now I have like 40 + tads :eek: Good luck!

-Chris

·
Registered
596 Posts
Bakhuis are gorgeous frogs, and it looks like you're on the right track. They can be kept like any other Tinc. Lincolnrailers means that they will breed and produce eggs often. Most Tincs breed fairly prolifically. IME my Azureus pair took a few months to get started, but now they produce almost weekly. I've had to seperate the two because now I have like 40 + tads :eek: Good luck!

-Chris
what's even worse, selling them is kind of hard after watching them grow, so I've got 3 new tanks with my froglets growing out, and it is so much fun to watch when you put several froglets in a 30 gal tank. I'm thinking I might keep all 21 of my remaining blue/black auratus frogs........and now they started breeding again!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
what's even worse, selling them is kind of hard after watching them grow, so I've got 3 new tanks with my froglets growing out, and it is so much fun to watch when you put several froglets in a 30 gal tank. I'm thinking I might keep all 21 of my remaining blue/black auratus frogs........and now they started breeding again!
Geeze keeping all those?? That some major dart frog hoarding lol. It is hard selling them though, until the buyer give you the money for em ;).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow that's intense man! i hope mine turns out to be a true pair and hopefully breed ( maybe not that many ;) ) but it seems like total fun. how many froglets can you put in a 10 or 20 gal tank anyway? even now i seemed to be addicted in making the terrariums. i will post my terrarium in a few days time. and hopefully you guys can give some insight about it. :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yea, my oldest are popping their fronts this week! Its gonna be hard parting ways with most of them, BUT I do get to keep all of them for a few months :D I will have to keep at least 5-6 back for myself as well, maybe not 21 though lol Gotta keep some room open for new arrivals and such.

·
Registered
379 Posts
P.S.- It is Awesome having tads at every stage of development! From eggs, to tads with legs, and soon to be froglets...I should do a vid soon lol Can't wait to see your success!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hello OP welcome!I acquired my first Bakhuis from a vendor back in April ,they thought it most likely a female it was.Got my second (a male) in September, less than twenty-four hours later the first clutch of eggs I'm now sitting on a bunch of froglets, tadpoles and more eggs.Life is good!I agree with the advice of others ,you are on the right track!!
Good luck, Happy froggin !! Allyn

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Bakhuis are a very nice small tinctorius, but (in my experience), they grow very slowly as froglets. Most tinctorius froglets can take wingless melanogasters ootw, but dwarf tinctorius morphs (including Oyapocks) generally need a good source of smaller food, such as springtails. I feed my establised froglets dusted melanogasters every day and they grow nicely with this method. They mature early, but I'm not sure it's best to breed them before they get a bit older.

Good luck with them! Richard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much guys! I am happy to think that i am on the right track. the discussion you've given has helped me tremendously. now I CANT WAIT for my pair to come!! :D but how many of them can you keep in a 10 or 20 gal tank? are they good when kept in groups?

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
All of the tinctorius morphs perform best in pairs.

·
Banned
915 Posts
i was wondering the same as not in how many but what is the size that i can keep ,y dwarfs in. I have oyapoks now and was thinking with them being dwarfs they should be fine in a 10gl but is that really the case?:confused:

Thank you so much guys! I am happy to think that i am on the right track. the discussion you've given has helped me tremendously. now I CANT WAIT for my pair to come!! :D but how many of them can you keep in a 10 or 20 gal tank? are they good when kept in groups?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts