Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

It's time for me to buy a Bakers Rack for my tanks :).

I have 1 24x18x24 Exo which will be placed on one shelf
I have 1 29gal which is 30" long for 1 shelf
I have 1 20gal for 1 shelf + smaller tank possibly

I was just searching around homedepot.com. Will this be a good deal?

Measurements I'm looking for: 18x36x72

1.Edsal 5-shelf Heavy Duty Steel Shelving Unit. Edsal Edsal 72 in. 5-Shelf Heavy-Duty Steel Shelving Unit - UR-185WGB at The Home Depot

Any others that are good and around that price range or cheaper?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I just bought that exact rack two weeks ago, and promptly returned it. The side upright bars were so flimsy, they're in two pieces that you have to put together, and the thin compressed board they have for the actual shelving isn't fit to hold much, theres no way it can hold the weight it claims it does on the box. In fact my friend broke one of the shelf boards just moving it. We ended up going with a 6' wide steel shelf unit from costco, the upright bars are one solid piece, not two flimsily held together, and it has two steel cross beams under each shelf in addition to the front and back beams, plus steel wire shelving to lay on top. It's $60 more than the Edsel, and 2' longer and 6" deeper, but sooooo much better built.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just bought that exact rack two weeks ago, and promptly returned it. The side upright bars were so flimsy, they're in two pieces that you have to put together, and the thin compressed board they have for the actual shelving isn't fit to hold much, theres no way it can hold the weight it claims it does on the box. In fact my friend broke one of the shelf boards just moving it. We ended up going with a 6' wide steel shelf unit from costco, the upright bars are one solid piece, not two flimsily held together, and it has two steel cross beams under each shelf in addition to the front and back beams, plus steel wire shelving to lay on top. It's $60 more than the Edsel, and 2' longer and 6" deeper, but sooooo much better built.
Thanks for the quick reply. They are a decent price. All the weight of my tanks total on the rack would be only near +-250lbs. I figure since they claim 4000lb that should be more than enough for my tanks. I do agree if one is putting loads of tanks it's better to invest it a super solid rack due to prevention of a lot of work and money with the tanks and frogs falling.

I've seen some cheap wire racks that are in the $50+ range and they only claim 1,750lb max weight Perfect Home 5-Shelf Commercial-Grade Shelving Unit - 21656PS at The Home Depot

·
Registered
707 Posts
I would honestly get the cheap wire bakers racks instead, those do hold a lot of weight. If you wanted to replace the shelving on the Edsel, it would be a heck of a lot more sturdy, but that's going to add to the cost. You'll see what I'm talking about when you unwrap it. You can read some more reviews on the shelf material here Shop edsal 72"H x 48"W x 24"D Steel Freestanding Shelving Unit at Lowes.com, I blew this off when I bought mine, and regretted it, only difference between that one and the other is the shelves are painted black on yours.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I got one from Target two weeks ago. I know its 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide... not sure on the depth though. It was around $40 I think and is supposed to hold 350 lbs per shelf.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got one from Target two weeks ago. I know its 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide... not sure on the depth though. It was around $40 I think and is supposed to hold 350 lbs per shelf.
Rack's I found. I'm leaning more towards #1 due to size dimensions and weight. Hope this helps..

1. This one from target looks clean. 500lbs per shelf $104 (36x18x72) Commercial Chrome 5-Tier Shelving Unit : Target

2. This one from target is okay. 350lbs per shelf $59.99 (30x14x60)
Seville Classics Chrome Mobile 5 Shelf Storage Unit : Target

3. Costco has this 4 tier 600lb per shelf: $59.99 on sale (47.5x18x77)
Costco - TRINITY NSF 4-tier All-purpose Black Shelving Rack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts