Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking on my white-lipped tree frog this morning and his injured eye seems to be coated in a thick layer of opaque slime, it's still better from when it was first cut. I also noticed that his nose is becoming discolered to a pale white and so are his ears, could he have a bacterial infection? is something else wrong with him? What could I do to heal him?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Hey Erica, what a mess. Ok, ideally you should take him to a vet for evaluation and treatment. At the very least it looks like it may be a puncture type injury, which should be rinsed with clean Frog Safe water. If it was my frog and a vet was not an option, I would purchase Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment from a local Feed Store or Farm Supply store and treat according to directions. All the other meds that should be used are by vet prescription only.Good luck, let us know what happens, Bill

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Erica, what a mess. Ok, ideally you should take him to a vet for evaluation and treatment. At the very least it looks like it may be a puncture type injury, which should be rinsed with clean Frog Safe water. If it was my frog and a vet was not an option, I would purchase Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment from a local Feed Store or Farm Supply store and treat according to directions. All the other meds that should be used are by vet prescription only.Good luck, let us know what happens, Bill
Thanks, I'll see where I can find the Ointment and I'll keep posting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be able to get the ointment tomorrow. I'm worried that he might have a bacterial infection based on his nose in the right hand photo, what could I do to cure it? Does he even have an infection? I've already had a frog die from redleg, I don't want this one to go that way too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you
You guys are so much help:)

I'll be posting the progress- and do you think I should get a log or somthing for him to hide in so he doesn't get to stressed--do you think I should sepperate him and his white's buddy so that the White-lipped doesn't pass on his infection to the White's? I'm very concerned.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I don't know if you should move him. If it was me, I probably would, just to cut down on stress and to be able to make sure he's in a clean environment while he heals.

I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I know this is a completely different animal but...

My rabbit had a really bad infection with all kinds of stuff coming from his eyes, nose and ears...Looked like no hope (even the vet agreed)...but the ointment I was prescribed to put on his eyes and swab in his ears cleared them up within a week or two. The rest required oral antibiotics.

That was almost a year ago and he's doing great!

I just wanted to give ya some hope for recovery...good luck!

Tommy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know if you should move him. If it was me, I probably would, just to cut down on stress and to be able to make sure he's in a clean environment while he heals.

I'm not an expert.
I'll talk to my parents about it- see if we can bring out some of my old extra terrariums
Also, if I move him, do you suggest that I use regulal reptile wood chips or a different bedding for comfort? I want to keep him as unstressed as possible. -I have an extra unused water bowl, but I'll buy another log and something for him to hide in when I go out to buy the ointment-

Thanks again!-
Erica

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I don't really know, Erica, but, here's what I would do:

I'd get a plastic container with a tight lid from Target or somewhere. Rinse it out really well. Put some damp paper towels or something like that down for a floor. Get a hide and some leaves. Maybe like a pothos. A water dish. Water dish can be anything that will hold water and he can climb in and out of. Just make sure it's clean.

I'd keep him in there until his eye healed over. Change the paper towel every few days or so to keep the bacteria down in the container.

Maybe someone with more experience will have a better idea, but, that's what I'd do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know this is a completely different animal but...

My rabbit had a really bad infection with all kinds of stuff coming from his eyes, nose and ears...Looked like no hope (even the vet agreed)...but the ointment I was prescribed to put on his eyes and swab in his ears cleared them up within a week or two. The rest required oral antibiotics.

That was almost a year ago and he's doing great!

I just wanted to give ya some hope for recovery...good luck!

Tommy
Thank you- and animals can sometimes defy the odds -
I have a ribbon snake who escaped from his cage and the cat bit two inches of of his tail when he was just over a foot. I found the cat chasing him around my room and saved him. The cat bit dangerously close to his digestive track and the snake went into some sort of shock. Some workers at the pet store recommended putting Neosporin on the wound twice daily, but they were convinced he would't make it. So every day before and after school I did so, and when the scales grew over, I stopped being mad at the cat. :p

But that was two years ago.
I still have him today, and he's almost two feet. Every time he sheds his skin I think he could just be that much longer...

It was a miricle he survived, and he has a bigger snake proof cage now, but that doesn't stop the cat- whenever the snakes not hiding... the cats ontop of it. Darn thing:rolleyes:

My point is; thanks for telling me your story and reminding me of mine- I hope my frog can make another one.:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't really know, Erica, but, here's what I would do:

I'd get a plastic container with a tight lid from Target or somewhere. Rinse it out really well. Put some damp paper towels or something like that down for a floor. Get a hide and some leaves. Maybe like a pothos. A water dish. Water dish can be anything that will hold water and he can climb in and out of. Just make sure it's clean.

I'd keep him in there until his eye healed over. Change the paper towel every few days or so to keep the bacteria down in the container.

Maybe someone with more experience will have a better idea, but, that's what I'd do.
Thanks again Kris,
I guess I was thinking he needed a whole other setup, but I think it's best to keep it simple, clean and safe now- I'll talk with my parents and we'll stop by Target on the way.

I am very grateful for your advice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts