Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to "flip" a toad under the lawn mower and found a dead A. texanum metamorph. I was both shocked and curious. I looked to my right under a particle board section we use to keep our beast-dog from getting unreasonably muddy feet, and there under it was a healthy sibling! I have owned my home for many years now, and this is the first ever salamander found on my property! He is about 2.5" tops.

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Amazing find! I'm so jealous, as I've been out looking, but haven't found any salamanders in the wild where I live for several years.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are a few more pics that better demonstrate coloring and (lack of) patterning.

JBear

Attachments

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
nice! pretty cool look salamander. its always great finding a new species on your property! i found rough-skinned newts this year for the first time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Neat! I haven't found salamanders at all the last couple years either.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a shame that salamanders and newts get overlooked or deemed unimportant when new construction sites are plotted. There is a good bit of deforestation happening here in N. OH, and I think it is a damn shame! I have found species that were previously not known to occur here, and now they want less ahbitat and more Walmarts and homes... It is sad. The impact that salamanders have on ecology is tremendous. Take for instance the biomass comparatives between humans and P. cinereus. There is no way they do not have a very meaningful impact on our natural world. Just a few thoughts... Thanks everyone!

JBear

·
Registered
43 Posts
wow tht deforestation in your area sounds awful i would litterally pay them to stop tht i mean tht just sounds sick i hope they stop... and not to scare you or anyone but the person on here with the flapjak picture 2012 actually has a high chance of happenin proven by scientists and told by christian bible of possible solar flares from solar storms tht could hit us and a few weeks ago the sun exploded out a fireball away from us so its kind of scary but real.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
wow tht deforestation in your area sounds awful i would litterally pay them to stop tht i mean tht just sounds sick i hope they stop... and not to scare you or anyone but the person on here with the flapjak picture 2012 actually has a high chance of happenin proven by scientists and told by christian bible of possible solar flares from solar storms tht could hit us and a few weeks ago the sun exploded out a fireball away from us so its kind of scary but real.
ill jump on this first i guess....exactly what scientists PROVED this? most people will tell you science cant really prove anything, just make a lot of evidence for theories. and no, its not possible. when you think about it, the whole 2012 thing was started because the mayan calender stopped at 2012, which of course means thats when the world ends ;) and even if that was their prediction...why would we believe a civilization that isnt around anymore?? obviously they werent that great at predictions...

also, you should try using commas and periods, they help others read what your saying ;) not being an ass by the way.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
also, the bible doesnt really count for anything with science. and MOST people on here dont care at all what it says, as has been re-hashed several times on other threads.

·
Registered
43 Posts
oh i no but it is also strange how 30 other cultures have predicted this disaster starting in 2012 including ancient egypt,and mayans

·
Registered
43 Posts
ill jump on this first i guess....exactly what scientists PROVED this? most people will tell you science cant really prove anything, just make a lot of evidence for theories. and no, its not possible. when you think about it, the whole 2012 thing was started because the mayan calender stopped at 2012, which of course means thats when the world ends ;) and even if that was their prediction...why would we believe a civilization that isnt around anymore?? obviously they werent that great at predictions...

also, you should try using commas and periods, they help others read what your saying ;) not being an ass by the way.
actually incorrect mayans predictions have been right the whole time cause they were able to predict wars,911,disasters,the invention of submarines and planes, its really scary but they have been right

·
Registered
521 Posts
EDIT: Nevermind. Sorry to highjack your thread! I hope it lays eggs near your house. We used to have baby salamanders and snapping turtles all over our yard in spring. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
salamanders are so nice! always fun to find them around your place... they're at many more places than people think! you just gotta know where to look for
i play big sheets of plywood on the forest ground, over the moss and leaf litter
everynow and then, i just lift the plywood and will usually find 1 or 2 eastern redback if i am lucky
nice pics

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Is that one of the Plethodon glutinosus ssp? If you already have answered this sorry, I just skimmed when I got to the end of days and such...... When I was growing up we had a colony of slimys that lived under the boulders around our fish pond. It was cool seeing the new babies every year and I believe they displayed habituation because the adults seemed to get used to me and after a couple of years wouldn't slime me. But unfortunately, as I believe others have said, they are getting harder and harder to find. Oh well, great pics of a cool find....hope you find lots more!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have seen no less than 5 everytime I go 2 feet into the woods. I truly worry that they are being found(by kids) before they can contribute to the wood's ecology. As I have said, this is the first breeding year! It is just astounding the amount of metamorphs the neighborhood kids are bringing to my door! All I can do is tell them to be fair to nature and find a suitable release sight. They are not mine, so I have little influence other than "the word", lol!

JBear

1 - 20 of 31 Posts