Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an effective way to transplant clovers into vivs? Maybe digging out the roots, soaking and rinsing?

All my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
291 Posts
You should be able to buy clover seeds cheep. I believe its used as an organic fertilizer, where you would grow it in your garden then cover to kill it releasing the nitrogen. I belive the seeds should be found easily. Hope im right

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I would definitely be careful about the possibility of accidentally introducing pathogens, chytrid, harmful bugs, etc. Take that into consideration when you are deciding where/if you will collect the plants.
Bryan

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree, the seeds would be a better introduction. They are sold in any farming store and garden supply stores will carry them from time to time. The concern I would have is if the higher humdity in a viv would allow it to thrive. The second concern is if it does thrive, clover will have a deep root system and spreads quickly.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Check out Oxalis sp. - they are a common pest plant in greenhouses, and many would do pretty well in a vivarium (probably too well!).

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Check out Oxalis sp. - they are a common pest plant in greenhouses, and many would do pretty well in a vivarium (probably too well!).
I'll second this recommendation...an added bonus is that over time they form really cool alien-looking base structures that are almost coral-looking.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Even without danger of contamination, clovers are deep-rooted legumes, so almost impossible to transplant successfully.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice. I am going to pass on the clover, and focus on abtaining a good bit of Java Moss. I would rather that in patches anyway. Does anyone know a good supplier of Java Moss?

All my thanks!

JBear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts