Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im starting a new vivarium and just getting ready to build a backgroung. I'm going to try and use cork bark, tree fern and moss. I am wondering if i need to incorporate tree fern pots into this background aslo or can I mount plants on tree fern plaques , etc. I f I use pots which sizes are best for broms? I am also going to set up misting

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Some plants can be mounted directly to cork bark. Epiphytes like broms and orchids will do well this way.
If you mount some of your cork about 1/2" apart from the next piece, you can stuff the 1/2" crack full of damp sphagnum moss and plant regular, terrestrial plants into the sphagnum moss.
Pots will just detract from the appearance. I can see the use of pots in great stuff backgrounds, and in concrete backgrounds, but I use a lot of cork bark backgrounds and have never bothered with a pot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks..I was hoping to avoid the pots honestly. You mention terrestrial planting in sphagnum moss, what have you planted in this way?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Pothos, creeping fig, various Hoyas, Pepperomia Prostrata, Sellagellinia, lemon button ferns, unidentified "stowaway" ferns transplanted to the wall, whatever mosses I can get my hands on, Angel vine, and probably others I'm forgetting.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Pothos, creeping fig, various Hoyas, Pepperomia Prostrata, Sellagellinia, lemon button ferns, unidentified "stowaway" ferns transplanted to the wall, whatever mosses I can get my hands on, Angel vine, and probably others I'm forgetting.
Do you just rinse all the dirt off and mash spag moss around the roots and then toothpick to wall?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Another option is use cork bark tubes and incorporate them into your background and then plant inside of those. This can also help to give your tank more depth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts