Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 gallon tank that is already set-up with an azureus in it. I did not make any background for it when I was putting it together and was wondering if there would be an easy way to do this now that the tank is established.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Id start making another tank and then just transfer to new tank
I would do this but I already have 2 tanks and I am trapped in a college dorm so I don't really have room for anything (im surprised I even fit 2 ten gallons in here).

They might just have to stay background-less

·
Registered
552 Posts
You might be able to make something decent outside of the tank, and then slip it in. You'd want to pull the inhabitants out of course. and it might still require some rearranging but I could see it kinda working.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might be able to make something decent outside of the tank, and then slip it in. You'd want to pull the inhabitants out of course. and it might still require some rearranging but I could see it kinda working.
Any idea how I could accomplish this? I just think that I wouldnt be able to put the frog back the same day.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Get a styrofoam sheet and build on that with silicone, great stuff, coco fiber, what-have-you and let it cure outside the tank. Let the smell go away and when you have it fully cured, you can slip it in (probably with a little rearrangement) without harm to your frogs.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get a styrofoam sheet and build on that with silicone, great stuff, coco fiber, what-have-you and let it cure outside the tank. Let the smell go away and when you have it fully cured, you can slip it in (probably with a little rearrangement) without harm to your frogs.
I wouldn't have to silicon it onto the glass?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wouldn't have to silicon it onto the glass?
You'll want to make sure it doesn't fall or separate from the back giving an unintended and potentially dangerous hiding place. That could either be by using silicone, a little clay around edges, or whatever is handy. One of the perks of using styrofoam will be that the background will be very lightweight and not require a lot of support. An advantage of using something other than silicone is that you would be able to reduce the time your frogs are temporarily displaced because there won't be any time waiting for silicone in the viv to cure and stop releasing fumes.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
redart + bentonite + calcium carbonate + coco/peat mix.... you can probably get enough of the clays for a 10g for like $3 if you already have the coco/peat (if there's a pottery store nearby). I just did clay BG's on my lamasi and Iquitos vent tanks.... put the frogs in deli cups for 20 mins while I slapped the clay on, and threw em back in there.

If you want, you can even put a thin layer of peat/coco on top of the clay and it'll look just like GS.

Cheap, easy, and good for the frogs.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
redart + bentonite + calcium carbonate + coco/peat mix.... you can probably get enough of the clays for a 10g for like $3 if you already have the coco/peat (if there's a pottery store nearby). I just did clay BG's on my lamasi and Iquitos vent tanks.... put the frogs in deli cups for 20 mins while I slapped the clay on, and threw em back in there.

If you want, you can even put a thin layer of peat/coco on top of the clay and it'll look just like GS.

This sounds perfect. Now I just need to figure out how I would go about making this. I am a big noob :)

·
Registered
8,465 Posts

If you can't get to a pottery store for the clay, you can use 100% clay cat litter (no perfumes or dyes). I use cat litter, mixed with some sphagnum and coco fiber, and it works fine for me. 25 lb bag for around 3 bucks.

I'd get the nice clay from a pottery place, if you can, though. :D

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I want to build my bg on the outside of the tank then GS it in. Im going to use the RAF tree root technique. I use standard fish tanks and i like to do the side of my tank, i hate when silicone or gs gets on the front plate of glass.
I did my first tank like that. Mostly because I was afraid of GS and didn't want to spray it inside the tank :D

It was pretty easy. Then just siliconed the styrofoam with GS to the back glass. Also, silicone around the edges to make sure the frogs can't get behind it. When you are ready for a change, the background just pulls off. No fuss. Well, except the silicone on the back glass. You'll need a razor blade for that.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to try it, and it seems less messy. I see clay falling too much so I pass on that method.
Yea, im hesitant on the clay background only because I don't know how well it would stay up with nothing holding it to the glass.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GREAT STUFF lives up 2 its name. My sister kicked over my viv and the GS didnt move an inch just the substrate.
great stuff would be the best option, but i'd have to move the frogs out for an extended period of time. Which i'm not sure i'd be able to manage. The only extra tank I have around is a 3 gallon and that would be way to small to put them in temporarily.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts