Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have read many posts and articles about viv backgrounds. Most/many suggest using Great Stuff to imbed wood, corkbark, etc directly to the glass, followed by cosmetic filling of gaps with GE black silicon coated with coco bedding. Also read that some people have had adhesion problems with background separating from back glass. Was wondering if anyone has tried building a background on an eggcrate panel? Silicon the eggcrate to the back and then use Great Stuff on the eggcrate to imbed driftwood, bark or whatever. Perhaps even a removable background built on the eggcrate. Channels could be then cut in the back to accommodate tubing. Would there be any advantage to doing a background this way ? Any disadvantages ??
George

·
Registered
191 Posts
I created my false wall by taking the same material used in the false bottom and spraying great stuff onto it. It squeazed through all the little holes and bonded permanently with it creating a very stable wall. So yes it works and you could then silicone it to the back. It also allows you to create the background outside the viv then put it in when its perfect.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have responded to several posts on this topic so I'll be brief, I use the pink insulation board and great stuff. Just careful measurements of the pink board (dry fit) remove the boards and work on the background outside of the viv. When you're ready just slide the pink board back into the tank and secure with a dab of silicone if necessary. Makes it a whole lot easier working on the background, and no adhesion problems.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts