Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really cool piece of driftwood that I removed from one of my old aquariums and was thinking of building a viv around it using it as a centerpiece with no background.

I'm curious how many people have display vivs set up without backgrounds. I think these setups can make for some really interesting and distinctive displays. I've come across a few examples while browsing various threads (e.g. Grimm's "peninsula") but thought it would be useful to compile examples here in single thread.

Post up pics of background-free display tanks if you have them!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a custom viv that is 12" wide x 12" long x 30" high and it's got a "tree stump" that goes from the bottom and touches the top. It's made out of acrylic pipes and clay. It works very well but you get a bit of clay shrinkage near the light but that can be fixed by wedging some moss or dirt in the gap.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'd love to see this thread grow. Most people don't do background free displays because they are usually for 360 degree viewing which takes up a decent amount of space.

regardless. 360 tanks are very nice.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'd love to see this thread grow. Most people don't do background free displays because they are usually for 360 degree viewing which takes up a decent amount of space.

regardless. 360 tanks are very nice.
They can be a hassle. The actual construction isn't that bad but finding a place to put it where you can actually see 360 is very difficult.

·
Registered
599 Posts
What i did was painted a piece of rigid foam insulation an olive greenish color and pressed it up against the back glass, I think it looks great...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Dendromad that column is amazing.....

Here is one I just finished for a group of R. variabilis 'Highland'....The only thing attached to the glass is the branch on the far end coming from the trunk.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I would also have to say the hardest thing about making a full 360 degree tank would be to find a spot for it. If, in fact, you do have a room large enough for a 360 tank, you cant just make a 30 gallon viv and call it a day...It'll look way out of place. Also, since you wouldnt have any walls to hide cords and electronic gizmos, you would need a clever throught tank column design similar to what Dendromad must have done.

Since you mentioned mine, I'll add a pic here. And for arguments sake, we will call the tree a "sideground", and not a background :p I really just combined both methods though...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that situating a tank for 360 viewing is challenging, but I don't know if that's really a prerequisite for have a background-less display. In my opinion, these kinds of displays can make a striking visual impact even when viewed from only one direction - the key is to design them distinctively with this in mind (not just a regular looking viv that seems to be missing a background).

Having some sort of prominent centrally-positioned hardscape is important for making these displays look good. Some of the examples already posted really exemplify this:

Dendromad's setup looks great. The cylindrical tank certainly helps, but I think it would still look great if it was in a cube-shaped tank that was only visible from the front.

Likewise with Grimm's setup. While it is technically a "sideground" tank, I think the other 2/3 of the tank (excluding the wall) still make for an awesome standalone display when viewed only from one side (essentially a background-free perspective).

Tedthefrog's 40 gal is another example I really like, and the setup that I'm envisioning for my current piece of driftwood would hopefully look something like this:

(from this thread: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/me.../34533-custom-40-gal-tree-stump-euro-viv.html)

Also, I wanted to mention that I fully realize the advantages of a background from the perspective of enhancing the livable space, hiding spots and planting areas of a viv. I was hoping to focus this discussion more on the aesthetic element (and gather up more example pictures in one place).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are those cast or real rocks? Its a neat design, don't often see something like that.

How are you doing filtration?
They are real rocks, & pretty heavy! There is a sump underneath for water flow and filtration. There are guppies in the water area so this is required.

There is also a misting system installed, hiding the misting line was the tricky part as the reservior is underneath the tank. The "vines" wrapped around the tree are the misting lines. Electrics for the lighting/fans come down from the ceiling and for the pump/heater/misting pump are housed underneath the tank.

·
Registered
155 Posts
im a new member only a couple of replies i really like the no back ground look i have a few myself that ive constructed have pictures that will be posted soon but i also like the back ground look more fun to make

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I like background free tanks because it helps me keep the temperatures down. You can't see alot of stuff through the tank if the plants are tall and thick.

·
Registered
586 Posts
these tanks definitely take a little more of that skillful eye since you can't just let the plants grow in. Thats going to be my next challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts