Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working in a new background idea and so far the results are turning out great. This seems to be a very inexpensive and economical method. Below is a pic I took partly through the process:

The parts used in this experiment are (excluding the tank):

-All-Glass brand Silicone @ $10

-cork sheeting (used for tackboards) I found it at ACE HW for 5.99 per 60"x40"

-fir bark. @ $5

I took a utility knife and cut a piece of cork that will fit along the back of the tank, leaving enough up from the bottom to prevent water saturation.
The cork was silicone in place and allowed to cure. Once cured for 24 hours, I began coating it with silicone in small patches at a time (stuff skins quickly). I layed out a pile of the fir bark and began placing it in the silicone, much like mosaic art. While this is not the greatest looking background, it works great for inexpensive and quick setups such as those for a rack. This is the first time I have performed this and I truly hope it turns out successfully. I also intend to silicone small pieces of 2" thick cork bark along the back to provie planting spots for broms and other epiphytes. The fir bark will best serve as a rooting place for creeping fig, which I hope to have completely cover the inside of this viv (shouldn;t have too much trouble aside from pruning;) ) I'll keep you all updated on the progress.

-Bill J.

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
Interesting idea, i've thought about doing that with rocks, but have not tried it yet. I bought some thicker foam today, to use on my rack tanks, I hope to start them tongiht if I can get some free time.

·
Registered
793 Posts
next time, instead of dishing out $10 for the all-glass stuff, buy a tube of GE Silicone I from a hardware store for half the price. It's the same exact stuff.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I try to avoid the Silicone II because of the mold inhibitors. I know it is toxic to my turtles so i'm not going to risk it messing with my frogs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cork

Alex, I would say it would work by itself, but I wasn;t too crazy about the way it looked. I wanted to make it a little more natural without sacrificing too much money.

-Bill J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
on silicone

I looked high and low for the GE stuff and could only find DAP brand. The stuff I saw, all contained microban and other mildew resistors. I may ask a local (small) hardware store if they would order some of the GE silicone that doesn't contain any other chemicals. For now, the All-Glass stuff works and it only took 1/4 tube to do this viv. Thanks for the input guys! I have the bck finally covered and as soon as it cures, I'll add the gravel and other asthetics, then plants. If all goes well, this will be the home of my retics or vents.

-Bill J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts