Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i glued flat cork bark with foam as my back round and i have some pieces of foam sticking out and i wont to know if i can glue sphagnum moss to the foam or should i glue coco bedding to it...
what looks better/ what should be best to use?

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you would ever want something like Ivy growing on your background go with the Coco. The roots will grow into it.

Eventually the spagnum moss may fall out leaving you with an ugly glue for visual. I guess if you know of a way to full-proof that, then it would look real nice.

Just for healths-sake, are you using a frog-safe glue?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same thing going on in my 75 gallon. I am using black silicone and ground coco fiber to cover the foam. I won't get done with this before IAD, but will try to get aa few pictures the following week.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think that the moss would fall apart as well. use the silcone/ground coco. probably last longer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
background

I don't know if any of you saw my brother's post on this earlier, but we often use the foam and cocos powder combination. If you are carefull with your foam application, you can pour your cocos directly onto the wet GreatStuff, pat it in, and it will stick very well. You will have to touch up here or there with silicone and cocos powder, but this GREATLY reduces the time needed to produce the background. I don't know if anyone else is doing this, but it works excellently.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats an interesting method Doc, but i think that i would be worried about the foam breaking down after a time. it is just a epoxy styrafoam isn't it? from all the tutorials i have read on it, it seems that the silicone is used to seal the foam away from the moisture and the herps. is there a brand of expanding foam that is non-toxic?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
As I understand it, once the Great Stuff (brand of expandable foam) cures it is waterproof and non-toxic. I think adding the coco as it sets isn't a bad idea, just have to do it after it has done most of the expanding... or thats when I would try it. I think I will have to try this next time I do one of these backgrounds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, don't wait until it expands. The foam will skim over quickly. Just put a lot of extra powder on top of the foam, and pat it occasionally as the foam expands. If you wait too long, the cocos powder won't stick at all.

The greatstuff foam is very durable and long lasting. It is indeed waterproof and non-toxic once cured.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.