Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys! I have spent a long time away from Darts, but have been dying to get back in for a while. Picked up an old 40 breeder and will be doing a vert since it has a nice deeper profile but is tall.

So my questions:
1. Does everyone still use GE Silicone II for both glass coating and GS/Coco coir coating backgrounds?
2. Does DAP 100% Silicone work as a sub or is GE II still the best?
3. If I wanted to get a nice selection of Viv cuttings to get started are there go to members here for that or should I stick to the websites?
4. I have a mister and a fogger, but no light yet. Any recommendations?
5. Never had marcgravia when I was a newwwwb, but would looooooove to get some now (not question just a statement)
6. Anyone know if big box stores sell the black foam?
7. Is there a good source for Hydroton or expanded clay?

Good to be back and excited to build again. I will be strictly plants for a while just to get going again. Maybe get back into Galactonotus.... But that is for the future.

-Evan

·
Registered
305 Posts
Lots of people still use the silicone/GS/coco coir method, I did. I believe the standard is GE Silicone I, not II, but any 100% Silicone should work as long as it doesn’t have mold inhibitors added, which (I’ve heard) impact the frogs. Any silicone made for aquariums is a safe bet.

There are a bunch of users on here that could provide a good starting cuttings package, check the classifieds section. I have a few things but am mostly out of mini orchids at the moment.

I bought hydroton recently for $5/gallon on Amazon, and I also recently bought a clay aggregate from NEHERP that they say is much lighter than the leading brands. It does seem lighter, if that matters to you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
As far as lights, I’ve had a good experience in past with the Jungle Dawn horizontal LEDs. Lots of people use aquarium LEDs, I have a Current Satellite + Pro that might be overkill and I’ve heard good things about NICREW. If you want to go really low cost you can look at hardware store LED spot lights, which I supplement with, but you’ll need to do some research about color temperature and PAR.

If heat isn’t an issue for you, there are lots of non-LED options, but I don’t have much experience with those so I’ll let someone else weigh in.

·
Super Moderator
2,926 Posts
Welcome back :)

Steer clear of Silicone II. It has an organotin catalyzing agent that is a known enzyme inhibitor in vertebrates. Anymore, I think I would avoid either of the GE silicones just because they seem to monkey with their formulae (or at least their branding) quite a bit. As Harpspiel said, aquarium safe silicone (comes in black, too!) is probably your safest bet. I have also had good luck with CR Lawrence silicone.

Not sure where to get black foam, but I and others have had a lot more trouble with it adhering to glass than the yellow stuff. I don't use either one anymore because I am so sold on the Cracked Cork Mosaic background method, but to each his or her own.

Around here, you can always get some sort of LECA clay balls at hydroponic shops. I live in Colorado, though, so your mileage may vary. I don't use those anymore, either, because I find egg crate to be lighter and easier to deal with long term.

Mark

·
Registered
260 Posts
I assume you mean spray foam like Great Stuff? I haven't had luck finding any black cans at big box stores. I get mine from Amazon.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
If you are specifically looking for the black expanding foam look at Ace Hardware, they provide most types of Great Stuff foam.

Gastrotheca
_
Crested Gecko 0.2.0
That's where I get mine if I'm in a pinch, but generally can find it cheaper on Amazon. Ace is great though. Much better customer service than many of the the big box stores in my opinion...definitely pay for it though, which on occasion I am more than willing to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts