Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Where can you get some? And how low does it grow? Looks good fromt he pics i have seen, but havent seen it in a viv.

Ryan

·
Registered
720 Posts
When I worked at the Aquarium Center in Baltimore, we sold it as an aquatic plant for aquariums. They sell plants through their website and I think they still get them. It is fussy in a fully aquatic habitat and required alot of light to do well, but maybe it grows better as a terrestial. A good percentage of aquarium plants grow better in semi-aquatic or terrestial habitats. I love it when I see arrowhead being sold as an aquarium plants and I have huge pots of it growing.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The Baby's Tears that you see sold at Fish Stores and the Baby's Tears that you see sold in nurseries are different plants.

Tim

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I bought some awhile back but never got the chance to put it in a viv and wound up neglecting it and I was never able to bring it back. But I really like how it looks and I think ill try it in the future on the other hand ive been told that it doesnt do to well in vivs.

G

·
baby tears

I just got in what I was told was baby tears by my supplier. It was listed as Pilea depressa though. Are there a few plants out there named baby tears?

Ken

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: baby tears

I have baby tears or Hemianthus micranthemoides in my aquarium, which is an aquatic plant that can be grown emersed. The stuff I bought at a nursery is called Baby's Tears (Helxine Soleirolii). The descriptive tag reads:

Fast-growing, dense, tiny leaves form foliage mat. Likes high humidity. HOW TO GROW: Medium light. Moderately moist soil Aver. wam home temp. 62-80 F
Regards,

David

Peaceofthetropics said:
I just got in what I was told was baby tears by my supplier. It was listed as Pilea depressa though. Are there a few plants out there named baby tears?

Ken

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glossostigma elatinoides

Most aquatic plants are grown emersed because they ship better and are easier to grow without algae on them. Has anyone used Glossostigma elatinoides in their water features as a partially emersed plant? I have been contemplating this for some time. I currently grow it in my aquarium and it is such a lovely little plant that creates a nice low, lush mat look (with the proper light, CO2 & nutrients of course). I have heard that it grows really well in 2-3cm of water giving off slightly larger leafs than its immersed form.

Thanks,

G

·
Aj where are u located in Britan? There is a neat plant i got when i was at my grandparent's house in Cornwall that grows native and looks like that. Maybe it's the same thing that lives in ure garden.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts