Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im just finishing up my 35 hex build and with 2 200 watt equivelant cf bulbs from the hardwear store im jus wondering where to place this plant? do you think it will do well on a wet substrate? or should i place i in a dryer spot?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Edited to add : "In my limited experience" you cannot let that plant get dry, so I'd put it in the substrate.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This plant can tolerate some moderately dry areas if it is still being misted, but it much prefers to be moist/damp. If you keep it too wet in my experience, it does not make it happy. Ideally, if you are using ABG or a similar substrate mix, most places in your viv should work as it holds a good bit of moisture.

One other note with this plant, once it gets growing, it can be quite vigorous, so just be prepared to trim it to keep it within the boundaries that you want it (may also want to consider this with the placement when planting).

One other note, is that it grows easily from cuttings, so if you think you want it in multiple places, as long as you keep the cuttings moist (which you should be keeping the tank moist anyways if its for PDFs), it will root easily and start growing.

·
Registered
739 Posts
In general when talking about plants try to refer to them by the latin name if possible, as often the common names can be confusing or apply to multiple species.

In this case, at least several plants are referred to as baby tears. There is Soleirolia soleirolii which I think you are probably referring to, but there are also a few species of Hemianthus (namely H. callitrichoides which is referred to commonly as Dwarf Baby Tears).

If you are referring to Soleirolia, then therizman2's advice is accurate. On the other hand if you are talking about Hemianthus, it not only loves to be wet, it requires it.

Best of luck with your viv

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In general when talking about plants try to refer to them by the latin name if possible, as often the common names can be confusing or apply to multiple species.

In this case, at least several plants are referred to as baby tears. There is Soleirolia soleirolii which I think you are probably referring to, but there are also a few species of Hemianthus (namely H. callitrichoides which is referred to commonly as Dwarf Baby Tears).

If you are referring to Soleirolia, then therizman2's advice is accurate. On the other hand if you are talking about Hemianthus, it not only loves to be wet, it requires it.

Best of luck with your viv
sorru bout the confusion it is Soleirolia Soleirolii. thanks for the clarification.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts