Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a mantid egg sack in the garden few weeks ago. Today they all hatched. Frogs had a feast. It's a bit mean, esp because I like mantids, but made for some happy frogs today :D

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
It is a bit mean since I like mantids too, but I've done that as well. I did, however, grow some of them up and released them in the yard.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Aren't Mantids protected?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a few full grown exotic mantids as pets they were really cool. I might try that with a common US species. What feeder insect would you say is comparable in size to new born mantids? Was wondering if imitators would eat them easily.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Aren't Mantids protected?
I was under the impression that most "garden mantids" aren't native anyways, but I'm probably mistaken. Killing Mantids is bad karma for me, for some reason...

When I was a kid, I caught a mosquito larvae for a pet...but my Big Brother assured me that the parents of that poor little larvae would seek their revenge on me in a Hitchcock "The Birds-esque" fashion, so I quietly panicked and put an end to the thing underneath our glass sliding door...and didn't sleep for week... :eek:

I have used spider egg cases as food in the past though. :) JVK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts