Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about the way my Azureus are behaving. When the male calls, does his chin bulge out like other frogs? I ask because he is doing something odd....he keeps puffing himself full of air and then squeezing it out. Plus he is not eating. I just put some flies in and the female started running around eating them all up, but the male just kept going around doing his air puffing thing.

Should i be worried about this? Or is mating behavior?

Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
With the males in the group that I have start calling nothing will stop them. They call the same way; they fill themselves up with air and then make their call.

Hope this helps
ADAM

G

·
Mindcrash,
My male azureus does the same sort of calling behavior that you described. The sides of his body expand, then they suck in pretty far, and that is his calling procedure. So that is normal, but the eating problem isn't. My breeding pair of azureus will eat at any time. I have gone in the tank and dropped flies outside the coconut hut when they are in the middle of laying/fertilizing eggs. They still come out right away and eat the flies, and then continue what they were doing shortly after. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, it was a false alarm. He is eating now. He just didn't seem too interested in eating while he was calling.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's another question: How long before they are sexually mature will an azureus start calling?

Thanks!

G

·
Mindcrash,
That is a hard question to answer because every single frog is different. Whether it be by genetic patterns, or by the conditions it was raised in. If your frogs are super healthy, calling can start quite a bit earlier before the frog is ready to breed. Sometimes my frogs call, just to start testing out their call, not necessarily to attract a female the very first time. So I can't really put a time line on that sort of thing. If this is happening to you, just keep the frogs healthy, and try to stimulate the female. The most important thing is to be patient, the frogs will breed when they are ready. Good Luck.

Brian Hoff

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Brian, though i'm starting to think they might be mature enough now. The female laid two eggs yesterday on the leaf litter in the tank (not in the hut, damnit). I doubt they are viable, but its nice to see her starting so soon after i got them.

G

·
That's how my azureus appear's when calling. If you make it real quite in the room - turn off everything, you should be able to hear it as well. It will be a faint buzzing sound, but the sound seems to travel quite a bit - when it's quite in the house, I can hear my azureus calling while sitting on the couch about 20 feet away.

About the age, my pair are both about the same age. The female began laying eggs when she was about 1 year old, but did not lay regularly until she was over a year and a half (which is about the time that the male started calling). It took the male until he was almost 2 years old before he was any good at fertilizing eggs (I think he just called without attempting to fertilize the eggs for at least 2 months).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts