Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I thought I would share some photos of my first real tank build for my pair of D. Azureus. I learned a ton and had so much fun making this tank. I used the basic GS background with silicone and coco fiber and there is a false bottom and water feature. The lighting is a T5 hood with 2 10k bulbs and the plants look awesome! Everything has colored up nicely and the broms are pupping like crazy! The frogs are so happy! I love watching them roam around the leaves hunting for bugs. I did also seed the tank really well with springtails.

Being that this is my first real build, I've learned alot and can see so many things to fix already. Be gentle in your critique please :)

This is the full tank shot, sorry about the quality. I had to remove the P. Creeping Charlie since it was about to take over the tank.

These pictures are a few months old; the Neo. Zoe is bright bright red. I just haven't had time to take updated pictures of the broms and all the pups.

Here are some shots of the tank's inhabitants

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much! I've been keeping snakes for years and recently took the plunge into darts. I think I've been researching for about 3 years now before I got these two and they make my day every time I see them. What rewarding and special creatures they are!

·
Registered
287 Posts
What rid the white leafed plants they are next to in the last few pics?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Wow, that looks great. I just got my first azureus and I LOVE looking at them.
I think your broms are pretty nice too.

The one thing I would say would be to be careful about the water pool. The walls look a bit steep. Maybe you could add a branch into the water to allow them a better escape if the plop in?

It would offer a use for the vertical space. It also would also allow you to add more orchids or smaller broms by tying it to the branch. You also have a ton of light and I bet moss would love all that light on the branches. The wood will wick up the water and give it a great surface to spread on.
Otherwise it looks great. Love it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, that looks great. I just got my first azureus and I LOVE looking at them.
I think your broms are pretty nice too.

The one thing I would say would be to be careful about the water pool. The walls look a bit steep. Maybe you could add a branch into the water to allow them a better escape if the plop in?

It would offer a use for the vertical space. It also would also allow you to add more orchids or smaller broms by tying it to the branch. You also have a ton of light and I bet moss would love all that light on the branches. The wood will wick up the water and give it a great surface to spread on.
Otherwise it looks great. Love it!
Thanks so much for the advice! I'll keep an eye out for a good branch, since I would very much like to add some orchids. I'd probably also need to add a fan for circulation if I do orchids. I was a bit nervous about the walls initially, but the frogs almost never jump/fall in but the times that they have, there is a very easy climb out of it. I know the photo doesn't show it well. I really do need to take some updated photos. Thanks again, I like your idea! :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I love that second to last shot "action shot" of the frog jumping over a plant. Very cool!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Looks great :)
I think you should put something in the water as well so they can climb out.
I would put a small peice of drift wood of some sort in there.
A branch stretching across the viv out of the water wouldn't look good IMO.
A small piece of drift wood and lay it in the water and have it resting against the bank should help.

Great first post :)
how long has it been since you made the viv and what size is it?
How long did it take for your pilea creeping charlie to spread out?
Mine just seems to be growing straight up and not branching out lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how long has it been since you made the viv and what size is it?
How long did it take for your pilea creeping charlie to spread out?
Mine just seems to be growing straight up and not branching out lol[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much!

Specs on the tank: Yes Will, the purple brom. is a Neo. Domino and it's starting to pup so I'm very excited :)

The tank is a 40 gal. breeder I've had sitting around a loong time. I kept one of my ball pythons in it before I moved them to a rack system. Don't worry, I scrubbed and scrubbed it before i started the build. :p It's been up and running about 6 months and a few weeks as of now. I waited about a month to cycle it in before I got the froggies. The plants are just insane now, I love it! They have colored up so nicely and the episcia is going nuts. I really can't wait till it starts to bloom.
I had the creeping charlie in there about 2 1/2 months and the thing was beautiful but just everywhere and it looked like it was choking out the peperomia

lol sorry for the long winded response, but I think i answered everything! Thank you so much for looking! :)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Thank you very much!

Specs on the tank: Yes Will, the purple brom. is a Neo. Domino and it's starting to pup so I'm very excited :)

The tank is a 40 gal. breeder I've had sitting around a loong time. I kept one of my ball pythons in it before I moved them to a rack system. Don't worry, I scrubbed and scrubbed it before i started the build. :p It's been up and running about 6 months and a few weeks as of now. I waited about a month to cycle it in before I got the froggies. The plants are just insane now, I love it! They have colored up so nicely and the episcia is going nuts. I really can't wait till it starts to bloom.
I had the creeping charlie in there about 2 1/2 months and the thing was beautiful but just everywhere and it looked like it was choking out the peperomia

lol sorry for the long winded response, but I think i answered everything! Thank you so much for looking! :)
yup you answered it all for me. Thanks.
That's a great size viv for Azureus, lots of floor space :)
I guess I am just being a bit impatient lol I have only had my pilea for about 2 months now but it has grown some but just straight up instead of bushy.
I pulled it out and put it in a propagation tank so it can get more growth to it cause it was shadowed by the large aglaonema and my nephtytis.
I kinda want it to bush up around the base of those two but now that you mentioned your peperomias got choked out I'm curious if it would do the same to my agloanema and neptytis. Maybe you can shed some light onto it for me, I hope you don't mind me asking lol don't wanna been seen as hijacking haha.

Here is a pic of where I want it. I want it to bush around the stalks of the agloanema(large plant) and the neptytis and kinda fill that in right there and cover all the roots shooting off of the agloanema.

here is my pilea. it is about the length of my fingers. It is about 2 months old but maybe I am just being impatient. It started as a cutting with two leaves. Was your's a cutting or the actual full plant?

So do you think it will choke out these two plants?
btw don't worry about posting long posts lol it's your thread. I tend to type out long posts tho lol.

Reactions: Pyrorin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol! I'm not worried about thread hijacking, it's all good. :D I will preface this saying that I am a total noob with plants, and the only reason my tank is still going and looking nice is through sheer dumb luck and me not messing with stuff hahaha! Having said that, I have major lighting on my tank, and I think it's made everything grow very fast. My crested gecko viv. has much less lighting ( a T8 strip light and a 100 watt CFL). It's also a fairly humid tank and my begonias didn't like it so I had to remove them. The Creeping Charlie was a full plant, not a clipping. It grew out and was beautiful at first but got viney and started pushing my broms over and like i said before, choking my peperomia. The roots were also going everywhere and I didn't like how it looked. I think part of what made it grow so fast was that it was receiving a ton of light where it was planted. The spot in your tank looks to have lower light so I imagine your pilea would grow much more slowly than mine did. Probably if you kept it trimmed it wouldn't choke out your other plants but I didn't feel like constantly trimming it in mine. I've read around this forum too that other people have had a similar experience with it. Now I will say that on the other side of the tank I have a Moonvalley Pilea that I brought back from the dead and it is getting beautiful and bushy. I really love that one. I do currently have a pilea sp. clipping that is doing very well in crested viv and it's already sprouting new leaves. It's only been in that tank maybe 3 or 4 weeks.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Having said that, I have major lighting on my tank, and I think it's made everything grow very fast.
what kind of lighting do you have?
I have it now in a grow out/propagation tank with a power compact fixture made for reefing/salt water tanks. It is super bright.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Pyrorin - great looking tank.

Where are you getting your plants from? Down in San Antonio I can't seem to find much in the way of terrarium plants. Mostly getting plants out of Austin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where are you getting your plants from? Down in San Antonio I can't seem to find much in the way of terrarium plants. Mostly getting plants out of Austin.
I live in Lufkin which is waaay smaller than San Antonio lol so I've been ordering plants online. I got the Episcia, ficus quercilfola, and hoya curtisii from Black Jungle, The Tillandsias peperomia, moonvalley pilea, rex begonias from New England Herpetoculture (who are wonderful btw) and I got my variegated chili verde and domino broms from Jason Desantis on this forum. I was gifted with a couple more broms, not sure where they got those, and I bought the Neo. Zoe from ebay

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks Pyrorin!

I have gotten some good plants in Austin. There is one store that carries darts and plants. There is also a good nursery in Austin with tropical plants. I have gotten plants from Black Jungle as well, but I really like to see the plant before I buy, so local is my preference.

Good luck with your frogs.

Terry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts