Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My azureus trio has randomly stopped laying eggs, they produced 3 good clutches and were producing more but for no reason have stopped. Any idea why? They have lots of humidity, and fed everyday with supplementation.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yes, mine do the samething...they lay like crazy then take a break for a while...then start all over in the same cycle....

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
It is actually healthy for them to take a break. If they continue to breed year around most people will actually seperate the females, to give them a break. It's not healthy for the females to lay eggs all year around.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It is actually healthy for them to take a break. If they continue to breed year around most people will actually seperate the females, to give them a break. It's not healthy for the females to lay eggs all year around.
How many clutches is a good number before you want to separate them?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My azureus trio has randomly stopped laying eggs, they produced 3 good clutches and were producing more but for no reason have stopped. Any idea why? They have lots of humidity, and fed everyday with supplementation.
Maybe it's in response to a change in environmental or climatic conditions. Has it become warmer there?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Like others have said, it's good for them to get a break. Think about it- in the wild, they only have a certain period of time for the breeding season, not year round. For younger breeders in particular, you don't want to breed them so much that you exhaust the females, which will hurt their future reproduction a few years down the road. Just give the frogs everything they need, and when they are ready they will usually breed on their own.
Bryan

·
Registered
19,354 Posts
some frogs do breed buy season some breed all year around. depends on the frogs

Actually it depends more on people keeping them in conditions to breed 24/7... Most anurans will either go through a decrease or increase in temperature to signal the end of the breeding season or the difference between the dry and the wet season puts a brake on the reproductive cycle. As a further example, wild frogs are not stuffed to the gills as a routine practice to also enable frequent egg formation (formation of eggs is in no small part controlled by the fat reserves of the female) so they are able to gain breaks in which they can store up not only fat but the nutrients to support a healthy egg and tadpole.......

Ed

·
Registered
19,354 Posts
Maybe it's in response to a change in environmental or climatic conditions. Has it become warmer there?
According to their location.. in Ontario I would suspect cooling instead of warming..

Ed

·
Registered
46 Posts
Right you are... I've been thinking based on my climate in the southern hemisphere and it's been really... warm these days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the outside temp has gone down a lot, but that doesn't change their tank temp. The tank temp hasn't changed at all. And they hadn't been breeding very long. Should i try and trigger a breeding season within the next few weeks? Or let them do their thing?

What do you guys do?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I try and shut my frogs down for the entire winter.

If they do lay I don't pull any eggs. I have a bit of water in the vivs if they end up transporting. This is the time of year when I reduce misting, humidity and food. Reverse it in the spring. I don't want the frogs to over breed and burnout.

They're our pets. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts