Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My azureus have been breeding for a while now and I have been removing eggs but now I have wanted to see if one of the males would carry the tads to the pond, althought I did not see the male do it there are now at least 2 tads in the pond in the tank. I know the frogs won't show anymore care to them. In the pond there is a huge amount of java moss, layers upon layers along with assorted other plants, the temp is about 76 sand bottom and it probably amounts to about a gallon. How do you think a few tads will fare in there? I think I may add some tad food ever once in a while and just try to keep an eye on them. Has anyone else done anything like this with no egg feeding frogs or thumbs? Thanks!
Mark

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Very cool, and keep us posted how it goes. I have read that some raised in the tank like that morph out smaller than others.

MarkJ said:
My azureus have been breeding for a while now and I have been removing eggs but now I have wanted to see if one of the males would carry the tads to the pond, althought I did not see the male do it there are now at least 2 tads in the pond in the tank. I know the frogs won't show anymore care to them. In the pond there is a huge amount of java moss, layers upon layers along with assorted other plants, the temp is about 76 sand bottom and it probably amounts to about a gallon. How do you think a few tads will fare in there? I think I may add some tad food ever once in a while and just try to keep an eye on them. Has anyone else done anything like this with no egg feeding frogs or thumbs? Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yup--same thing happened with my breeder azureus. I've got a water feature which has lots of nooks and crannies in which to hide. I never found the eggs laid (typically in huts but obviously, not always) but was one day suprised with a completely morphed froglet :shock:
Ain't nature great?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm gonna put in an update! Originally I only saw 1 tad in there but both eggs were gone so yeah. Today I was adding more water because I am going away for a month...But I see 2 tads now! I realized that there is about an quarter inch of java moss in there just on the bottom that they can hide in and get behind all my rocks. I've been adding some freeze dried tubifex and some fish food everyonce in a while and they are lookin good! by the way if my sister or dad have any problems while I am away with my frogs they may post here, just a heads up!
Thanks!

G

·
MarkJ,

Good to hear the update!
I have my vittatus putting tads in a 6"x6"x3" pool. The water is pumped from under the whole tank to give it a little circulation. I counted at least 20+ tads in the water at feeding time. They can really hide in the large rocks surrounding the pool. Have to love it!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just thought I would update this. I haven't seen any eggs since August, and my the tads from back in the summer have been out of the water for about 3 weeks. But today, actually 5 minutes ago when I dumped some crickets in I saw a really small froglet! Pretty amazing, the water hasn't been deeper than a few centimeters and I hadn't noticed any tads in the water. Although I haven't been able to spend as much time watching them with school, internship, rowing and such. I'll try to snap a picture if I can, it's pretty awesome, I just wonder if there are anymore in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts