Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18"x36"x18" (50 gallon) planted exo-terra. Can I house a group of four Azureus? I have read that they don't do well in groups, particularly multiple females.

·
Super Moderator
2,965 Posts
36x18x18" isn't (contrary to what terrarium manufacturers say) a large space for these animals. They utilize much more space than that in the wild.

The recommendation you'll get here is to house the minimum number of frogs in a maximum amount of space. For Dendrobates tinctorius "azureas" that means only keeping one pair in a tank.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Definitely a hard no on a group of 4. A pair would work - but for extremely territorial animals like tincs any more would be a nightmare. Take that from someone that's kept a group of them in a very large / densely built viv.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wouldn't recommend keeping more that two together personally. A pair would love that viv. It would be perfect for them.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Don't waste your time. I had a 1.2 living peacefully and breeding. Then I foolishly thought "Hey! Let's add another male for the other female." Within 3 days I had to split the entire group up. Females eating each others eggs. My big male would just squash my other male to the ground and never let him up.

Just don't do it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Oh I'll add this. If you are more interested in having a group of frogs than having azureus, I always recommend auratus to new keepers. They come in almost every color, they're bold, and they can be kept in groups.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I'll add this. If you are more interested in having a group of frogs than having azureus, I always recommend auratus to new keepers. They come in almost every color, they're bold, and they can be kept in groups.
I originally thought of getting Auratus but someone said they are shy. That’s not your experience I take it?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I originally thought of getting Auratus but someone said they are shy. That’s not your experience I take it?
There are a couple locales that are shy but most are bold. Costa Ricans, Nicaraguans, Super Blues and Highland Bronze are all big and bold. If you like the blues of the azureus, super blue auratus may be something to look at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts