Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to get a couple of D. Azureus and had some questions on their housing. I have a 20 gallon long aquarium that I want to use for this. Now, i have read that Azureus aren't climbers, so would this tank be better used vertically or horizontally? I was thinking horizontal, but the only problem i have with this is that the tank won't be very tall then...i supposed i could use lower growing plants.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Generally they don't but every night before I turn my azureus light off they all climb up the back ground to go to sleep in the cracks and hole in the cork bark. A 20 gal long would be great for them.
hope this helps
ADAM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
I would definately do horizontal. Vertical would severely restrict the ground space. My azureus, 2.2.1, spend 99% of their time on the floor, and for the other 1% they are no higher that 6 inches off the ground. I would definately use lower growing plants. All I use in my azureus and tinc tanks is different varieties of pathos and other ground cover plants. Both of my adult pairs are kept in 20L's. Vertical 20's are mostly only used for thumbnails. Nothing else would utilize this space. Hope this helps.
 
G

·
I got a 20 gallon high for my sexed pair. They spend a good amount of time on the floor but my male loves to climb up high to get a brake from his wife he spends about 20% of his day up some where. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
My azureus kinda do the same thing. It seems the female is always looking for play from the male. I don't think I've ever seen my female climb but every once and a while my male will, rarely though. Mindcrash, Keep in mind there is a HUGE difference in ground space btween a 20gal high and a 20L vertical. 20 gal high has the same ground space as a 15gal. 20L vert has about the equivalent of a 5 gal. 20L is a perfect tank for azureus if kept horizontal, i would just try and keep the substrate more shallow (maybe only a couple of inches).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what i was thinking, based on the suggestion you gave me in regards to the false bottom setup. I was going to go with a aliflor bottom layer, 1-1.5 inches deep or so, with a substrate on top of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,961 Posts
mindcrash said:
Thats what i was thinking, based on the suggestion you gave me in regards to the false bottom setup. I was going to go with a aliflor bottom layer, 1-1.5 inches deep or so, with a substrate on top of that.
Look for aliflor under the trade name Hydroton, and you should be able to find a local place to pick it up. It's very popular for hydroponic gardening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Mindcrash. I use both acrylic and glass enclosures and drill them out for
bulkhead fittings that are also threaded on the inside, then I screw in a threaded 1/2" elbow hose fitting and the hose goes to a drain bucket. You can also get a threaded plug for the bulkhead fitting and take it out when needed. The bulkhead and drain system is pretty elaborate, but they allow you to really flood and flush the system. For a few enclosures it is overkill but for the 10 that I have set up it works well. I got all the fittings from US plastics.
Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok all, here is what I came up with. For drainage I have drilled a hole in the bottom and installed a capped fitting which will allow me to drain when needed. It needs to grow in some, so be gentle with your comments :)





P.S. Ed: Check out the leaf litter!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top