Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I 've read that escape attempts may mean a frog is stressed. I have 3 azureus froglets in a 24x24 cube there are lots of hiding places, plants and leaf litter. My smallest froglet recently has been observed in the higher levels of the tank, climbing a lot and trying to get out of the top of the tank. This usually happens shortly after misting, then stops shortly after.

Should I move him?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
How long have they been in there? Sometimes they try to escape but then settle down once they've become more accustomed to their tank and less stressed (or they realize the futility).

I don't want to say it's an 'always' thing (because I don't really know) but all of my frogs do that for a bit when moved to a new tank.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They've been in there since November 12 of last year. I hope he will settle down he scares me sometimes. But he looks fat and healthy so hopefully the other fatsoes aren't stressing him out to much.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Id say a few months ofw, maybe 3 there about the size of a quarter maybe a little bit bigger

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I personally thought that azureus frogs were aggressive towards each other and unless the tank is over 50 gallons or something like that, should only be housed in a 1.1 pair or a 2.0 pair. If they are younger they can be housed together, and the smaller frog is probably stressed out because of food competition. How old are the frogs?

Just my thought, so don't get mad at me if I'm wrong. :p

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I personally thought that azureus frogs were aggressive towards each other and unless the tank is over 50 gallons or something like that, should only be housed in a 1.1 pair or a 2.0 pair. If they are younger they can be housed together, and the smaller frog is probably stressed out because of food competition. How old are the frogs?

Just my thought, so don't get mad at me if I'm wrong. :p
That's true, except not usually at this young age.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for ur answers I'm trying to post a picture of the tank, but I m on my phone so its a bit harder than I thought.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
The tank looks nice! I would think good for azureus. The frog appears to be a good weight. I'd keep an eye on things and make sure he keeps eating. Maybe a little more leaf litter for the frog's comfort (hidey spots).

Maybe throw a branch or large rock into the water to give them a little more climbing space. I can't tell how deep that water is but if it's deep, make sure they have easy escape routes out of it.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
You know what? I don't know why the frog is stressed out at all, other then the possibility of food competition. The viv looks just fine, and the stressed one has fantastic colors for it's age. If that was the stressed one, I can't imagine how colorful the others are. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow guys thanks! Yeah he is the escapee! Lol and I will add more leaf litter and the water isn't tht deep and has larger stones and many water plants so they can easily get out if they should get in the water.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I've had the odd frog that would jump at the lid. No idea why...I turned the lights out and they stopped. Maybe try some light diffuser/eggcrate on the lid and see what happens.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I thought my leucs were trying to escape on me too! Turns out there were some fruit flies taunting them up there, plus I think one of mine just likes the attention.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts