Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
Ive got a pair of Azureus breeding. I am trying to get them to stop. I started by slowing feeding down, drying out the viv and leaving eggs in the viv. This did not stop them, because something is destroying their eggs. Could be the slugs, snails, centipedes, earthworms, or the frogs stepping on them. Now my plan is to remove clutch and raise it to almost hatching. Them put it under the hut assuming there is another clutch to switch with. This way they will have to remove the new tads and put them in water dish. Hopefully. They will morph the frogs and wont keep laying. Am i wrong here, will they just keep laying with him (tad)in the only pool. If this wont work then im getting a new 20 gal, build it put the male in, wait 2 or 3 months and put the female in. If i do this what will the female do with her eggs. How would i avoid egg binding or whatever its called.

The reason i want them to stop is becuase they have thrown over 150 eggs and the last 10 or so to morph have 9 out of 10 sls. So i think the adults are weakening. Even though they are maintaining weight.

G

·
Trying selling the tads to people at a really cheap price. Chances are there are also a lot of people with egg feeders that would love those eggs. I mean the process of feeding different eggs to egg feeders dont work very well but im sure a lot of people will still want them.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Cut back on feeding. If the caloric intake is lessened the time between yolkings for the female will be increased.

Ed [/i]

·
Registered
758 Posts
^^ probably not a good idea to sell tadpoles if most of the froglets are coming out with sls...

have you tried removing laying sites?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Azureus

I know this probably goes against what you want to do, but I'd say you give them a break. We all obviously know that anurans aren't monoecious, so it takes two to tango. Just separate them for a couple of weeks, months, however long you think you or they need a break. Keep in mind once you put them back together it will continue but it will probably be amplified, but probably healthy offspring without sls. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually i really want them to quit breeding. I thought that was clear, but i guess i dont get my point across very well. First im going to see if they can raise a tad, then ill get a new 20 gal. and put the male in first to stop them.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
A 20 gal for a single male is overkill, maybe you should try supplementing more, as sls is sometimes caused by lack of vitamins.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to move the female in there after 3 months. Then rebuild their old tank and put in next generation or some other frogs. I like my breeding pairs in at least a 20gal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts