Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put a fake rock cave (I don't care for coco huts) and a lid underneath in the viv so my frogs can get used to the idea of it being there, they're not adults yet. I may have two females, and I was wondering if the females will lay eggs without a male, or will they hold them and reabsorb the eggs? How much water should I put in the lid?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, one more thing... Can someone please post pics of sexable azureus that show the scale? My frogs are about 1.5", and I'm still not able to tell their sex, since I'm new at it.

G

·
You will be able to tell the difference in sex when they are fully mature. In both of my pairs, the female is much much larger, in size and weight. The male is smaller in size and weight, and has larger branching toepads. They are very easy to sex when fully adults.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You're not going to want to put any water in the lids. Once you see eggs I like to keep them in for 24 more hours to make sure they are fertile. After you remove the lid add a small amount of water to keep the eggs from drying up.

-Richard

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
In my case I think size is tough to tell, but toepads are easy. Male toepads are larger and flat compared to the back toes. Females are about the same front and back. Hope that helps. I have seen pictures of sized ones that were easy to tell by size. I either have a big male or a small female, becuase mine are close. Either way I think I am on my 5th clutch and have 4 tads in the water and 4 more ready to come out of the egg sack.

Arklier said:
I have put a fake rock cave (I don't care for coco huts) and a lid underneath in the viv so my frogs can get used to the idea of it being there, they're not adults yet. I may have two females, and I was wondering if the females will lay eggs without a male, or will they hold them and reabsorb the eggs? How much water should I put in the lid?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know about the toepads, I'm just wondering about what size the males develop them. I don't notice any difference between the two, they are both about 1.5" from nose to vent. One is slightly larger than the other, but both of them have fairly small front toepads. On both of them the front toepads are slightly bigger than the toepads on their hind feet, but I've seen this in some pics where the frog was a confirmed female too.

Anyone have any answers for the other questions? If the females will lay without the males and how much water should I put in the lid?

G

·
I'm not sure exactly if the females will lay eggs without a male, but I do have an answer to your other question. Many people do this differently, but I submerge my eggs in the lid about 3/4 the way under water. Some others I have heard completely submerge, but either way make sure they have enough water so they don't shrivel and dry up. I always make a point to have quite a bit of water in the lids with the eggs. So far it has worked pretty well. I have 11 tadpoles and about five more clutches developing quickly from one pair of my azureus.

G

·
Also, if this will help answer you question, I keep the lid moist before the female lays eggs. But I don't make a habit of keeping standing water in it. If there is some standing water in the hut, they seem to lay in the other hut, so I add water after the eggs are layed.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I spotted one of them going in and out of the cave (no eggs, though) so would that mean it's a male or female? I thought the males picked the breeding sites?

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
No does not mean anything... Its when they both are playing around and go in the cave.

Arklier said:
Well, I spotted one of them going in and out of the cave (no eggs, though) so would that mean it's a male or female? I thought the males picked the breeding sites?

·
Registered
230 Posts
You mention the size of your frogs, but what about the age?? You mentioned that they are still a bit young to lay. How yount?

I have 2 pairs of Cobalts that I have had since August. That would make them about 9-10 months old. I was able to see the toe pad difference since about January. And one of my males was calling about a month ago. (Haven't seen that since). My females seem to be smaller than the males (maybe due to competition that I cannot see). I have kept the 4 of them together in a 29 gallon, but since they are getting closer to breeding age, I will probably split them up soon. I don't have any coco-huts or caves yet. I love the idea of the cork bark cave. I may try that.

In final response to your question. Just be patient and enjoy the beauty of your frogs. Everything will unfold itself soon. You can't make them breed, just give them the best conditions, lots of food and they will reward you for it when they are ready.

-Ben Zomer

G

·
In final response to your question. Just be patient and enjoy the beauty of your frogs. Everything will unfold itself soon. You can't make them breed, just give them the best conditions, lots of food and they will reward you for it when they are ready.
Well said Ben, I completely agree with you!!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really don't know what their ages are. I got one of them at the Northwest Captive Breeders' Expo in October from tincs.com, and one at the other a month later from Nortwest Frog Fest from a guy named Allen something. He might even be here. Both of them were about 2/3" froglets, so I'm assuming that they were at least a couple of weeks out of the water.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The reason I asked about age is because some breeders can morph out some very large froglets, which is good, but sexual maturity only comes with age, not size. A human is sexually mature at around 13 years, no matter how big they are, but won't necessarily have babies (I hope) Keep that in mind.
You probably won't see any sexual dimorphism for at least another month or 2. If the toe pads still look small after 3 months from now, assume you have females. I wouldn't expect any breeding type behavior from your frogs until at least August more likely October or later. If you get it sooner, than that's great.

Ben Zomer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts