Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new plant today at my local green house. Let me see if I can discribe this.......It grows out like grass, but the strands are thicker and instead of being flat it comes out in gangly straws. And I was told that I needs lots of light and lots of moisture. Perfect for vivariums! I asked for its latin name and they said "Junkis" but I dont know how its really spelled. Have you hever heard of a plant like this. The guy at the green house said its really rare. Ill get some pics of it in the future.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they said something with "snake" in it for a common name. But its not the suculent snake plant.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Juncus is not suited to the terrarium. These plants like much brighter light then you can provide inside. The most commonly avalible species are temprate in origin and grow in the edges of ponds and lakes. The one you are descibing is fairly common.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive had this plant now for about 6 months and its doing great. And I give it little attention. It thrives in very wet habitats but I often let it dry out inbetween waterings with no ill affects and it grows great under one striplight. I have yet to put this in a viv but I plan on doing so in one of the new tanks im going to be setting up in the next week or so.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This stuff is tubular and comes to a point at the end. Also it twists, turns and grows in every direction. Its really neat stuff and I hope I can get it to so well in the viv. I need to figure out how to get some shoots from this thing so I can share it with others. When it gets bigger mabey I can pull it apart a little bit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
new starts

those small groups that look like flowers along the stem are really small plants. take them, and place on the edge of the water boundry, and they will take root within a month or so.good luck with them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts