Dendroboard banner

Austins 65 gallon build

10K views 54 replies 12 participants last post by  austin 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

I set this tank up with some cool tree fern I found at a local mom and pop shop. I borrowed the cork mosaic look to fill in the spaces since the tree fern was irregular in shape. Some pieces were really thick and I like how it turned out. I have three micro orchid clippings (epidendrum mathewsii, pleurothallis costaricensis, trichosalpinx chamaelepanthes) one variety of neoregelia (ed prince), two varieties of microgramma (heterophylla, nitida) two variety's of small peperomias (emarginella, some costa Rican species) one tillandsia, cissus amazonica, and hemionitis palmata.

Egg crate false bottom with just over a five gallon volume below it. ABG (their modified version) from NEherp. Some NEherp moss mix and a small portion of the BJ moss. Ghost wood and a cork branch. I think that's about it. Lightins is a 3w snakeeyes model 150 watt with some rgb and warm white strips added.

Can't post a pic from my phone but will soon!

The tortuguero are amazing!! Blood red with nice blue feet and legs :) From Nabors recent import.

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: austins 65 gallon Tortuguero build

Thanks! Yeah I couldn't decide on the more broms issue, these are throwing pups already and I didn't want to over crowd the tank or have too many different types. But I have some tiger cub in another tank that I am contemplating as an addition. I want to keep the tiger banded variety's only in this tank.

#5 ·

I agree with you. I also love a few species of plants (and broms) in a viv - it has a more natural look! But your light is so much, so you can put some other plant, as ficus (I love background covered with ficus spp.) and some other neos of the same species in this viv.

#6 ·

Well, I added a tiger cub. Still matches the ed prince with the banding and should color up in a couple months under that light.

Now I risk going on a brom bender :)

I have some philodendron micans too, maybe I should add some, hmm?

Thanks!!

#7 ·

I think your viv is big enough for Philodendron spp. Now I do not know the size of micans, but you can add some cuttings. Eventually you can always trim it.
I prefer put in my vivs plant with small leaf in the background (ie ficus spp.) and just ahead pothos, ie plants with broad leaves, where frogs like to stay and also often lay eggs.
This is just my 2 cents.

#8 ·

Here is a slightly better picture. Hopefully this weekend I have some time to locate my camera cord so I can upload some good photos. These are from my phone. Updated with the bromeliad addition, the tiger cub, it should color up over the next few months :) Not sure if it is in its final placement.

And a few pictures of the inhabitants. I really like these frogs!!! They are good size too :) compared to my bastimentos.

Attachments

#15 ·

Thanks, alot of the the sphagnum is turning green with algae or something and some has actual new sphag growth! I have a little BJ moss in there and some NEherp moss mix, just a little though because I want to see what the panels sprout themselves.

#17 · (Edited)

The frogs are in there but I tell you what, they are hiders! I only see them a couple times a week, I need to get a good shot of them this weekend. They are doing well and very pretty.

Thanks, I am happy with how the broms have worked out!

#18 ·

The only bummer is that I haven't really been able to get my cissus amazonica to grow very well. I think it is being exposed to too much light. It is rooted in the substrate but climbed the background, however, the leaves are faded and small.

#20 ·

Wondering if anyone else picked up any of the tortuguero imports? If so how have they behaved for you? Mine have been quite shy.
It might be because the middle of the tank is a bit bare. Especially with a deep tank

I would add some plants in the middle area along with a large piece of wood or something and they will definitely appreciate the extra cover, most small animals avoid wide open areas as that is how they get eaten

Looks good so far though

#23 ·
Re: austins 65 gallon Basti build

Better picture finally I have the picture thing figured out, thanks Scott!

I am not sure I like what I did with the hard scape in this tank yet...

I did out my Tortuguero in a new tank though and upgraded my basti trios enclosure size. Everyone seems happy. Guess I need to change the thread title now...

#25 ·
The hard scape looks great, no need to second guess yourself:).
If I may give you some constructive criticism I would move the bromeliads a little closer to the top since they get a bit obstructed by the tree fern trunk, but that's just me.
The trunk would look great with some Microgramma or similar trailing fern creeping over it.

#27 · (Edited)
Thank you both! Actually I just placed a small cutting with maybe 8 leaves or so about 2" long of microgramma heterophylla near the lower end of the tree fern trunk. Hopefully it climbs up! I have had a really hard time getting this cutting to establish... It's been about that size for months. The M. nitida is doing nicely though.

Another pic of my male. Calls non-stop. Very active frogs :) behind him my Billbergia "Darth Vader" is growing and starting to color up! Can't wait to see it as it grows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.