64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang it, I did it again...
Sorry.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the typical physical characteristics of a male auratus and those of a female auratus are...

It probably varies per frog but mine have such complete opposite body make-ups that I'm starting to wonder if I have a pair.

They are both bronze morph and about 7 months old (if that helps at all).

Thanks!! :)

-Jen
(I'll try to post a pic of both of them side-by-side if I get the chance).
And once again I accidentally posted under ManofMusic's name the first time...sorry hun!!

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
My female auratus is much larger than the male, and has a much more pronounced hump in the middle of it's back. The male is smaller, and has a more streamlined shape.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Okay, so here is the one that I'm thinking is the male:

And here is the one I'm thinking is female:

I know its rather hard to see anything specific on her but you can definately tell that there are severe differences in their body make-up.

The "male" is more slender/trim with extremely long legs/toes, while the "female" is much more chunkier with short legs/toes.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Jen, how old are they? Do you ever hear any calling? My males only call in the morning, right at about sunrise (or before) but they both call, and do it every day. My females are 30 - 50% longer than the males and like Brian said are much larger, and more robust. I have the ancon hill morph but the same should hold true for yours. The 2 pics you have seem to indicate the general bodytype of a male and female just as you believe, but unless they are mature, and we can see them together it is a tough call.
I'll see if I can find a pic of a male and female together.
Ed

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks so much for the info!! They are both about 7 months old, haven't started calling yet, and I'm still hoping to catch them sitting together for a good comparison pic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts