Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Just looking for some opinions on the sex of my auratus. I believe the first pic to be a female, but I am no expert. Sorry for the terrible pictures. I've noticed no aggression between the two in the 5 months I've had them (or courtship behavior). Let me know what you all think. Thanks very much,
-Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
auratus aren't known for being aggressive, and tend to do well in groups. So that's not really a sign of anything. You're going to have to get some better pics. The first one looks female. The other frog is hard to really see.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try and get some better pictures. Thanks. I'm hoping the smaller one is a male. Front pads are big, but back toe pads arent so. The body type leads me to think male as well but I am far from an expert.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It's only the front toepads that are enlarged. Although the plump body of the first one suggests that it's a female, there is really no way to tell without clear photos.
I'll try and get some better pictures. Thanks. I'm hoping the smaller one is a male. Front pads are big, but back toe pads arent so. The body type leads me to think male as well but I am far from an expert.

·
Registered
781 Posts
IMO there is no way to rely know until you see/hear calling or pair two frogs up and get eggs.
I have a male auratus that is plump and pear shaped and has tiny toe pads, but when I put him in a tank with a known female he started calling and I got eggs.

Auratus can be difficult to sex.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, all. I have had my frogs for 6 month, the larger I believe to be female seemed to be an adult when I picked her up while the other seemed a bit younger. My personal opinion is that I have a pair, but I guess I must just wait to see if they prove out or look for other adult Campana to add into the enclosure...I've got the space. I'll try for better pictures when feeding soon. Thanks,
-Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts