Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not too long ago I set up my first viv for some D. auratus. Today I go to my pet store and see that they got in PDF's(auratus). They were $50 (5 for 200) bucks each, which Im thinking is pretty expensive for small auratus. There were two different looking morphs though. The mint green with the black blotches and the all black with the green spots. Are the all black with the green spots more rare(worth $50) or no? Just curious, thanks!

-Logan

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
The animals themselves may be easy to find online for cheaper. However if you take into account cost of shipping, and maybee having to take a day off from work to wait for delivery, you might be just as well to spend more locally, and you can see the animals you are buying before shelling out you're hard earned money on them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My first thought is they could be wild caught. Ask where the pet store got them from. I would stay away from 'farm raised' or WC if you are just getting into darts.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,

Hoffers Tropical Life pets has them in right now. They used to have tons of them(all dif species) in the old store, but since they moved across the street this is the first time I have seen them. I dont have my fruit fly cultures going yet so I cant buy any. The number for hoffers is 414-353-6553.

The main question I had though was,,,is the one auratus morph(all black with small green spots) more rare than the mint colored moprh with the black blotches?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree with tuthelimit. The "black with green spots" auratus are probably
"farm raised" or wild caught. They could have been part of the shipmant that just came in. If WC these frogs could have a host of issues in
addition to some retained toxicity, as a beginner I'd steer clear of them. If you really want that color, I'm sure in a few months some of the wild caught will start breeding and people will be selling them here.

As far as them being more rare.... I'd say that they are a little less common than some of the other color morphs, but they are not rare.
Ed

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohh, i see. That flew past my head in the first post. Thanks! I actually like the mint green color with the black blotches better.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tigrinus said:
Hoffers Tropical Life pets has them in right now. They used to have tons of them(all dif species) in the old store, but since they moved across the street this is the first time I have seen them.

Wow, I've been going to Hoffers for years, and also remember them having tons in the old store. I was pretty disappointed when I went there Saturday and they had -1-.
Pet World also used to carry them years ago (s.108th/Brookfield), but haven't seen any lately.

I'll be scoping out some other shops in the next couple weeks, I'll let you's know if I find any.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
You can basically be garenteed they are Panama FR auratus, they are wholesaled a lot as they come in by the hundreds, and both morphs mentioned are common in those shipments. The price you are seeing is reseller mark up, these frogs can be as low as $15 in large enough lots, and have probibly gone thru at least one reseller to get to that pet store, and mark up can be around 30% or more each time.

These frogs are technically FR, but what FR really means quality wise depends on the operation. The Panama FRs tend to be hardier than straight WC (meaning they come in in better condition) but still need to be treated medically and stress wise as WC animals... which these frogs haven't if they've just been passed around. The animals that have gone thru resellers have also probibly dealt with a ton of stress as well, and don't have that going for them either.

There are CB animals of both these morphs in the hobby if you look around, or I recomend getting established, treated animals from people who know WC frogs and how to treat them - for example the campana auratus that have come in recent shipments, I'd recomend getting established, treated animals from SNDF rather than similar animals in a petstore. Their prices may be similar, but the health and quality of the frog would be much higher from SNDF, who knows very well how to handle WC frogs and have been doing it longer than I've been in the hobby... and I've been around a while.

·
Registered
478 Posts
There is a pet store here in indiana, just about 10min north of indy, and they are selling different morphs of pdf's, I asked him what breeder they were from and he said the best in the country, I just kinda laughed. I bought one frog from him a couple of years ago, and after having it a month I went back to the store, My auratus had grown twice the size as what his frogs were, and they were skinny. I then asked him again, "what was the name of the breeder you got these from" He responded "The best in the country or else I wouldnt buy them". Ive never gone there again. I didnt like the fact that he wouldnt tell me where he got them from, and thats enough for me to say, screw that. Im not speaking for all pet stores but it just seems like they dont ever know what the hell they are doing, and they dont care for the well being of the hobby.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I actually hadn't known there were so many people from Wisconsin here, though I guess that's because so few come into chat. Wisconsinite is the proper term but it sounds kinda stupid, I guess. I just wish there were more near Green Bay; I've been trying to get the hobby started on campus lately but haven't found anyone interested yet.

Back to topic . . .
As for petstore darts, from personal experience, you really have to be careful with these. The local pet store used to carry some auratus, tincs, and terribilis, and they were in terrible shape. They had no idea how to take care of them, and they were marked up to outrageous prices (if I remember right, small auratus froglets were something like $65) . While some stores may be decent at caring for these animals, I'd recommend finding a local breeder.

Too bad there's no "breeder registry" for dart frogs, something of this nature might make it easier to find local breeders.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whoa this post is old. From 2004! I clicked on it not knowing i started it. Strange! Anyways I never did get the frogs. I had the viv all set up...fruit fly colonies going, but then just shut it down. Probably because fish were enough work at the time. I am planning a new viv though since I no longer have room for my fish. Wonder if any of the pet stores around here still get in darts. I got the itch.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok cool any auratus? Good health? I have credit there and I know most people that work there.

And yes the old store was better. They had a 200g set up for them. It was mixed though....I remember the day they set that up too. I was volunteering(sp) there when a guy came in with a suit case full of plastic containers with the little darts! Forgot what his buisness name was. Rainforest gems? Something like that. Im excited to get started again.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm still new with all their names, it was the blue ones, two of them.
:D <googles it> azureus!
Hey that's kinda like Spanish... that one anyway. :)

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Tigrinus said:
Whoa this post is old. From 2004! I clicked on it not knowing i started it. Strange! Anyways I never did get the frogs. I had the viv all set up...fruit fly colonies going, but then just shut it down. Probably because fish were enough work at the time. I am planning a new viv though since I no longer have room for my fish. Wonder if any of the pet stores around here still get in darts. I got the itch.
Tip:

Forget the pet stores...MWFF is less than 3 weeks away and a tank of gas away...go and have a blast, talk to some local and not local froggers, see a ton of great frogs at great prices...it will be worth it!

What you have to remember also with pet store pricing, is that pet stores have to make money too...many stores will have almost a 100% markup due to this fact.

I seen a pet store a year or two ago that was trying to sell auratus somewhere around $70 and tincs somewhere over $100 (can't remember the exact prices, but I know they were actually more than that). The frogs were not taken care of well, and were well on their way to death from starvation...

Forget the pet stores, and buy direct from the breeder...as you are finding out, there are more breeders in you're area than you probably thought.

ps,
Sorry pet store owners!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts