Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is one of the adult auratus that I'm trying to ascertain the sex of. I'm sure this picture won't be of much help-but I thought I'd use it to try and figure out if I'm posting a picture correctly in the first place-hopefully this will show up. The auratus are extremely shy so I don't want to bother them with any more pictures-it will be hours before they would come out of hiding again...but hopefully I can get some better ones soon.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I don't claim to be an expert, or even good at sexing, but the frog in the pic has a body shape more like my male than the female.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I know they can look different from different angles but they really don't have much in the way of a belly unless laying more or less flattened down. So that would certainly go along with what you guys are saying. They hang around each other a lot, but I haven't heard any calling. They eat everything in sight. I was hoping I'd hear a call or two from one because they were both perched on top of an inverted deli cup standing extremely tall with their noses sort of to the sky. I played an auratus recording. No go. Oh well.
Kevin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, well I have a lot to learn so that is interesting to me that yours have bred without you witnessing calling. Everyone seems to think its a male so I'll go with that unless it proves otherwise with eggs or something-haha. I breed chameleons and have only kept tree frogs as far as anurans go until these guys. They are certainly a lot different in so many respects. I would like to get another 2 or 3 adults to increase my odds of having a male and female in there. Here is another, even lousier pic I took that same day of the animal in question.
Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts