Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this pic the other day of one my auratus. It was sold to me as the standard Panama auratus, however it looks nothing like the others I have. I also have one that is more greenish with the same bronzey spots, but every spot on it is perfectly round. It is also about 85% green as opposed to the primarly black Panama auratus. I will post a pic of it when I can get one.

Any thoughts as to what you might call this frog?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Looks very similar to what I have heard called "microspots", which are from Panama as far as I know... but I am not an auratus expert by any means lol. Very pretty frog though. I am planning on getting some like this myself later this year, hopefully.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that their ground color (the green in this case) and change over time as they mature, and are slightly different between individuals from the same parents. Some may be more green and others may be more turquois, but they are the same frog and shouldn't be considered different.

G

·
What does microspot signify? All D. auratus are highly variable in patterning, so it is some-what confusing to me...
j

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yeah, it is pretty confusing to me as well... thats why I said I am no expert and am only going on what I have seen, read, and talked about. I really wish there was more specific local info, as that would be the best thing to go on. Microspots usually has a green-turquois background color and has smallish bronze dots on it. It is different from a reticulated pattern, or a standard pattern (larger reticulations) becuase it is mainly single spots/dots (as you can see lol). Size might be different from other morphs as well, as I have heard that Micorspots is a large auratus... but thats all I could say to defend this name/morph classification. If someone has something else to add or correct please feel free to do so... I have no problem with being wrong lol.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The two I have are only 5 or 6 months old, but are about the same size as my standard Panama auratus of the same age. I have no local info other then that thier ancestors came from Panama. Thanks for the help everybody.

G

·
it's seem that your frogs are a spotted variant of Bronze auratus...
There is very few information about bronze auratus but we know there are several different variants in the Santa Fe area...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was told that the microspots morph had a lot of little spots when they are coming out of the water and in their first weeks at land. If they grow bigger it will dissapear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts